18: Transcend.

LEXA:

The last thing I remember was Clarkes soft lips upon mine. I could taste the salt from her fallen tears and hear her heartbreaking sobs as everything faded to black. I fought so  hard to stay with her but the fates had made their decision, my time was over.
In the darkness I could hear the muted beat of my heart beginning to fade out. Silence surrounded me at first, a sense of calm overwhelming my consciousness. In the distance a sound began to emanate, a low hum,  like a vibration of energy. It increased  in volume until it became deafening. A blue flash  blazed out in my minds eye, my consciousness alert, reverberating as though in deep meditation. It was different somehow, more powerful.
The light began to fade, my focus returning. I looked down to see my hands, clenching them to see if they were real. I had felt my life ebbing away yet here I stood able to see and feel.
My environment felt so strange, like something from a distant dream. There was a window in front of me, I approached it cautiously. From it I could see the stars and the vastness of space it was astonishing. My wonder was broken by a voice from behind me.
"Welcome Commander." I turned to see a woman standing before me, her face I recognised from my dreams. I felt so disorientated, "Where am I?" I asked.
"You've passed over into the flame, as you call it." Her voice was soothing, it helped to calm me as I finally realised who I was speaking with, "You're the First Commander. You're Becca Pramheda!" She smiled back at me, "Please, call me Becca. It's an honour to meet you, Lexa Kom Trikru."

I was overwhelmed standing there in front of The First Commander. I had no idea what to say, how to deal with what was happening to me. "How do you feel?" She asked.
I looked around at my environment, so bright and sterile, "A little confused. What is this place?"
"This is Polaris. This is where it all began, the legacy of The Commanders," she answered.
I knew that Becca came from the sky and that naming of Polis had its origins with her. I just wasn't prepared for such a contrast to the ground.
A second window caught my eye. I walked curiously over to it to see a large blue sphere illuminating the heavens. Becca followed an stood by my side.
"Is that the Earth? I felt like a child asking so many questions but this was all so strange to me.
"It is. Your home, my home." She replied with sadness in her voice. The full realisation of my passing hit me, my heart filled with sorrow for the girl I no longer held. "Clarke." I uttered softly.
Becca took my hand and held it as we looked out at the azure glow of what was once my home. "I'm sorry, Lexa. The Commanders path is not easy, life's cruel nature seems to follow our legacy. I'm sorry you had to leave her behind."
She squeezed my hand, understanding my pain."I loved her. Was that so wrong?" I asked.
Becca looked at me with a tear in her eye, "No, not at all. I never wanted life to be that way for those who led our people. Things change over time, people adapt to the brutality of life and the message gets lost. Love should always prevail."
I nodded at her, grateful of her words, "What awaits me now?" I asked.
"Death is not the end. Your consciousness will live on as long as The Flame survives. Its time to meet the past Commanders. Welcome home, Lexa." She smiled at me and I smiled back.
I never knew if I'd see Clarke again or if there was even a possibility this new existence allowed for that. I held her image in my mind, never wanting it to fade. She would always be with me, my sky girl. The two of us together into infinity ♾