Prologue

She placed her palm over her growing belly as she gazed at the turbulent late summer sky. Her vision blurred and tears pooled in her eyes; whether it was from starring without blinking or from the anguish her heart was crying, she could not tell.

"My Lady?" Katya, her faithful handmaid from her father's household called to her.

"What is it?" Her hoarse voice foreign to her ears.

"Your dreams," she started. "Your dreams are true, My Lady."

The hand that laid limply on her side, went to her heart. The hand that was over her unborn child, caressed it. The simple cotton was comforting to her hands.

If her husband knew she was in this state- wearing cotton clothes, with her feet bare and her blond hair spilling from her braid or bun, he would hurt her in ways she could not comprehend. Yet she was like this. This was the first step towards defiance.

"You are carrying twins," Katya whispered, torment swirling in her grey depths.

None of her maids was there. Being in this palace, she did not know who was a friend and who was a foe.

She closed her eyes and turned away. She did not want Katya to see her in a messed state. Her stare at the heavens turned to a glare. Why would they torture her? What crime did she do? Did she, without her knowledge, offend Sesha, the Spirit of Fate?

"Are they girls?" she asked, mustering the last of her hope. If she had sons, she knew what would happen.

"One girl," Katya's voice sliced through the heavy air. "The other boy. Rafel Chayim confirmed it."

Her legs gave way beneath her and she dropped to her knees. Her muffled cries were the only sound in the motionless room. Katya stayed in her place. The Empress knew why she stood grounded to her place. Katya knew about her anger.

Why should she be the unluckiest mother in the entire Lavatia? She could have been happy, she should have been happy. But the forewarning killed her from inside.

Tears streamed down her cheeks and they tasted bitter to her mouth. The urge to run the knife through her heart was tempting, but she knew better.

"My Lady?" Katya's voice called again.

"Yes, Katya?"

"What are you going to do?" For the first time, the Empress heard her handmaid's voice quaver.

"It is said that only through my husband's son the Darkness will enter Lavatia. The Emperor might not know it," she continued. "And I need to save the world."

"You must kill your child," Katya whispered.

She shut her eyes, as tears continued to flow freely. Hearing the truth was a thousand times worse than just knowing it. How could she kill him? Her own flesh and blood?

"Yes, Katya," she whimpered. "I must."

"Do you have the heart to do it?" she asked. "To sacrifice your child to save the world?"

"No."

"Then what are you going to do?" Katya inched forwards.

"I strongly believe that it is the way the child is grown decides his fate, not his birth." She bit her lip.

"Are you...?"

She nodded. "I must. Will you help me when the times comes?"

"What must I do?" Katya asked and wrapped an arm around her.

Her pregnant abdomen prevented her torso to touch her knees, a position comfortable to cry. "When they are born, take my son away. Take him to a place where only you know where he is. I might meet him someday, but until then, he must not come anywhere here."

"What of your daughter?"

"She will stay with me." She wiped her tears in haste. "The Emperor cannot harm her. The Spirits owe me that much."

"I understand." Katya stood. "Not even the person I am giving your son would know whose son he is."

"Thank you, Katya," she whispered.

"No need, My Lady," she said. "It is you whom we have to thank. You are sacrificing your son."

"When the time comes..."

"I will take your son away," Katya promised. "I will take him from the healers themselves. The king shall not know you carry twins. Even Rafel Chayim had to kill the young Rafela who threatened to inform the king. Your secret is safe."

Grateful for her friend's company, she wallowed herself in pain and misery. She did not keep a track of time for how long she was like this.

The lengths of the shadows varied. From short it became to slanted and long. The mellow sunrays thrived.

"What are you going to do when the Emperor comes?" Katya asked. "Are you going to lie to him?"

"A lie is not a lie when you are lying to protect an innocent," she said, lifting herself up.

She could not provide her children with a safe future, but she could try. There was nothing wrong in trying.

"If you say so, My Lady," Katya said. "Will you dine with the Emperor tonight?"

Slowly she nodded her head. "I must."

"Only if you can escape."

"I am a Ralaera, Katya," the Empress stated. "I do not flee. I face the challenges my life throw at me, simply because I have the will to, if I do not, then those are not my challenges. I will not shame my father's name."

Her handmaid nodded sadly and gathered her unruly hair that the wind loved to tease. "Let's get to work. Your husband might want to eat fast and leave you free."

The door opened and many girls in their adolescence entered the room in a file. They kept their head down as they began their work.

The Empress and Katya stopped their conversation abruptly.

For it was true, the walls had ears here.    

Well, how was it? 

The empress is Azaziah's mother if anyone had a doubt.

The chapters will be 1k-1.5k in length and I plan on completing this book within May 2017. 

It might contain a maximum of 15 chapters. Let's see how it goes.

Also, I tried writing this book from first person pov. I want to know what you think of it. 

This might not be a smooth ride, my dear readers, so brace yourself.

And thank you @iamrileywinters for this amazing cover!

See you soon,

~Quill