36| A Nightmare Between Us

Start from the beginning

"Where are they?" I asked Claire who was trailing behind me.

"Brian is in room 301 and Jake is in 201. They took out the bullets from their bodies, and they are fine but the doctors said that anything could happen and they are not sure if their condition will remain the same, either it will get better or worse." Claire's voice broke in the end.

"And where is Jesse?"

"He killed himself. He shot himself in the head and died on the spot. Brooke, he really was mental. He tried to rape me because I was the first girl who broke up with him, and not the other way round. And his actions were also triggered by the slap I gave him in the cafeteria."

"I knew it. I need to see Brian and Jake," I said, walking in the direction of the elevator.

"I'll grab a coffee, do you want one?"

"No," I said as I got into the elevator. I pressed the button for the second floor where Jake was. I got out on the second floor. He was in room 201. I looked up, above the door of the room, there was written 'Room 201' in big, black and bold letters. Just as I was about to open the door, it opened itself and a doctor stepped out, a nurse following him. He gave me an inquisitive look.

"Um...I'm here to meet Jake​. Can I see him?" I asked.

"Are you his sister?" The doctor questioned.

"Well, I'm kind of his sister. Not his real one though."

"I'm afraid I won't be able to allow you to meet him then. Currently, only his immediate family is allowed in. And also not right now because the patient is resting. The bullet caused great damage in the chest area, where he was hit."

"He will get through this, won't he?"

"I can't tell. There is a fifty-fifty chance of his survival. I can't tell you anything more about him."

"Oh, okay."

He dismissed me with a nod and walked away. I stared at Jake through the small glass window. His eyes were closed. He was wearing an oxygen mask and several needles were attached to his hands. Adjacent to his bed was a huge beeping machine, the heart rate monitor.

I hope he would be alright.

I walked back to the elevator and pressed the button for the third floor. Brian was in the first room on this floor. I looked through the door and found him lying on the bed. He too, had his eyes closed. Deciding that I wouldn't be allowed in here too, I sat on the chair in front of the room.

Claire came after a few minutes, holding a cup of coffee for herself.

"I called everyone. Jake's parents are with him. Sam, Darren, Josh, Tyler and Gemma are here too. They are in the cafeteria as they were hungry. But when I called Brian's mother, she said she doesn't think she'll make it here. She's in Malaysia right now. She said she would come if she gets the time. I still can't believe she said that. Is she even his mother? Why would she say that?" Claire asked, her eyes conveying her disbelief.

"Long story, and it's personal. I don't think Brian would appreciate it if I tell you."

"I understand," She said and nodded.

"Is Sam okay?"

"Yeah, he got some stitches though."

My phone began ringing in my shorts' pocket and I took it out to see it was mom.