33| Break Up Between Us

33. Break Up Between Us

"I never meant to hurt you but we were never meant to be together and someday you'll thank me for what I did."

•°•°•

I hadn't seen Darren all day. I knew he was in school today. I wanted to tell him the truth as soon as possible. The guilt of still being his girlfriend but liking someone else was eating me alive. I just couldn't live with the truth for one more day. No matter what, I had to tell him.

It would hurt him, it would hurt me too​. But we would get over it eventually because we were not meant to be together in the first place. I just wanted to win a stupid bet. And to win it, I became his girlfriend. And that was so, so wrong. That was not something I would do. I would never do such a thing to my friend. But now that I had, I would have to set it right before it was too late.

I saw him at lunch. I thought about telling him then and there but I didn't want to create any more drama so I waited till lunch ended. Gemma and Brian were there too. Gemma had brought her girl gang with her to lunch today. She was telling them about her date with Brian and he looked quite bored.

After lunch ended, Darren quickly hurried to his next class which didn't give me a chance to tell him. The whole day passed by like that. I wasn't able to catch up with Darren.

Darren had football practice today so I decided to wait for him. Brian insisted on waiting with me but I dragged him towards his bike and he reluctantly, after I almost begged him, did he go home. I sat in my car, listening to songs, but my mind was somewhere else.

I was thinking about Darren. I had decided to tell him, but what if he gets angry at me? I hope he wouldn't do something stupid and rash. I didn't want him hurt. If he got hurt, I would have to forever live in guilt of being the one responsible.

He was a special friend to me. I loved my family and friends, and I couldn't see them hurt. I was so angry at Jesse for hurting Claire. I could have prevented that if I would have punched him before it all started. I couldn't bear to see anyone close to me, hurt.

But here, I was the one who was hurting my friend. I wished I could just reverse time to that day when I said yes to him. Did anybody know where a time machine is?

I sat there in my car for about an hour. God, do they practice for that long? I hated any kind of physical activity. I couldn't even run for a minute without panting like I had ran at the Olympics in the end. I didn't know how the athletes do it. Did they have superhuman abilities? Because I sure as hell needed that.

It was close to five in the evening now. I paused the music and took off my headphones. I stretched my arms before me, tired of sitting in the same position for about an hour. My butt felt like it was flattened because of sitting for so long without moving.

I looked around the parking lot. There were a few cars and bikes, mostly belonging to the footballers.

I heard a car start up, the deafening roar with which it started sounding quite familiar to my ears. I whipped my head to the right to see Darren in his car. He immediately took a sharp turn to the left and was soon speeding off towards his house. I honked my car, praying he would notice my presence but it was too late and he was already gone. Crap.

I sighed. If I followed him, I'd be able to catch up to him. And also I had promised myself that I would tell Darren the truth today, come what may. And no way in hell did I went back to my own words.