9. Let's Try Again

As the weeks started passing by, Alec and Beth adjusted back into their lives. The two hadn't told anyone about the wedding, nor their mothers had spoken about it with anyone. They both hardly even saw each other at the house. Most days Alec would return home late from his office or worked the entire day in his study while Beth spent maximum of her hours at the hospital.

Even when the two would be at home, the only time they meet would be during meals. With Beth living upstairs, while Alec on the lower floor, they never saw each other even though they lived in the same house. Meals usually were a quite affair in the house. The only one who spoke was Mrs. Norris or the cutlery. Beth and Alec hardly ever interacted with each other. The only time they spoke to each other was when Alec had to go out of station for a meeting. That was the only day, the conversation had Ten more words than good morning, nine more than usual by Alec and one more than usual by Beth.

Nobody had realised when the month ended or the next began. It wasn't until one day when Alec returned home, that he realised how far the two had come together.

That day when Alec entered his house, he was greeted with the one man he stayed clear of, Lewis Hosley. He could hear the laughter and chatter in the drawing room. When he entered the room, Beth instinctively got up and walked towards him.

"Darling, welcome home." She gave him a peck on the cheek. Alec replied after a beat. "I didn't know we would be having some company."

"Mr. Mason, the fault is mine. I came unannounced."

"Counsellor, how do you do?" Alec spoke as they shook a firm handshake.

"Great and how couldn't I? Your wife's company is so pleasant."

Alec wrapped his arm around Beth's waist, not just put on a show, but also to remind Hosley who she was. "Yes, she is quite a lovely person to have around." Beth stood a little uncomfortably in his arms and he too realised it was getting a little awkward for them. As soon as he realised her, she quickly said, "Let me get your coffee. I think Mrs. Norris has already prepared it." She walked towards the kitchen, a little more quickly than she should have.

"So, Mr. Mason, how was work?" Hosley asked as he sipped his beverage.

"Good." Alec had to be careful in answering in his questions. He had ran a background check on Hosley and one thing was clear he was very clever and cunning.

"Well you know what I find funny your house Mr. Mason?"

"What?"

"There isn't one picture of Beth and you in this house." He stands up and walks towards the shelves. He picks up Melissa's and Alec's wedding picture and looks at it. "Not even a wedding picture. All the pictures are with your first wife. I can't see any pictures of Beth and you together." He smirks.

Alec could feel the tension rising in the air. He was right, there aren't any pictures with Beth. How could there be? They hardly ever spent time with each other. They avoided confrontations wit each other as much as possible and their wedding was so dramatic, there was no chance they would have got a picture clicked of that.

"It is kind of funny, isn't it?" Beth answered while Alec was trying to form an answer. She set the cup of coffee in front of Alec and continued "Well, the truth is, I am not very fond of getting pictures clicked."

"Not even a wedding picture?" He asked menacingly.

"Well, I guess that was one mandatory picture but the thing is, I had left as soon as we were declared husband and wife. Emergency in the hospital." She shrugged.

"I heard you both got married in the hospital." He kept the picture back to its original place and Alec breathed a little.

"Yes." This time he replied.