II. New Year's Kiss (Jeankasa)

Start from the beginning

         She smiled at Eren. "Whatever I am, I'll probably be more alright than you by a longshot."

         Mikasa walked out to the backyard and stayed on the wooden deck, realizing she was only wearing socks, not shoes. She leaned over the bannister and took a sip of her drink, making a face when the bitter liquid made its way down her throat. Next time, she'd ask someone a bit more sober to mix for her; Eren had put more alcohol than she wanted. She stayed outside like that, staring at the snow-covered ground and drinking by herself while a party went on inside Eren's house.

         It was seven minutes to midnight when the sliding door opened for the first time since Mikasa walked out. She shook her head as she downed the last of her drink. She was surprised to find herself a bit disappointed. "You were wrong, Eren," she said without turning around. "Jean isn't here."

         "You sure about that?"

         Before the second word was out of the person's mouth, Mikasa turned around in surprise. So Jean wasn't kidding when he had texted Eren — he really was there, right in front of her. His hair, cropped shorter at the sides like an undercut, hadn't changed. Sure, he was wearing dark jeans and a white jumper with a reindeer on the front (and pop-out horns) and he looked absolutely ridiculous, but he was there. Her brain was fuzzy; she didn't want to walk over to him in fear of losing her balance. Mikasa herself knew she wasn't very good at holding alcohol. "Jean."

         "That would be me, yeah." He smiled, taking a sip of his own drink. He nodded in her direction. "I like your sweater. It suits you."

         Mikasa turned back to the bannister and leant over the wooden surface like before. She could feel her face heating up at Jean's compliment and was happy for the dim porch lighting. She heard his footsteps near her as he leaned over beside her. When he was close enough, she scoffed. "I don't see how snowflakes would suit me."

         "They make me smile because they're pretty," he explained. Clearly he was a lightweight with alcohol as well —Mikasa could hear his words were slightly slurred. Or maybe that was because her brain was out of focus. Her face turned bright red and she didn't even need a mirror to figure it out. She could feel it despite the cold. When she tried hiding her face inconscpicuously, Jean asked, "What are you blushing about?"

         That only made her try to hide her face even more. The red sweater didn't help.

         "Mikasa, did I just make you blush?"

         It was less than a minute to midnight and Jean wouldn't stop teasing her. That was when Mikasa made up her mind.

         "Five, four...."

         "You know—" Jean began.

         "...three..."

         "—you shouldn't be so embarra—"

         Mikasa didn't bother with stopping herself. She spun to face Jean and grab the reindeer's knitted antlers with both hands to pull him down from his towering height.

         "...two..."

         Mikasa already knew the end of his sentence, so he had no need to finish it. Jean blinked in surprise at the girl's boldness. All she did was whisper "and you shouldn't talk so much" before pressing her lips to his.

         "...One! Happy New Year!"

         The cheers erupted less than a second after the new year was announced. Maybe it was the alcohol talking for her that night, but whatever it was, she was glad she did it. Her fists on Jean's reindeer jumper loosened. They made their way up to his neck, locking around the back to deepen the kiss while his hands slid around her lower waist, skimming her jeans. One of his thumbs slipped under the large jumper and he ran his thumb along bare skin, causing her to shiver in response. When he broke away from her first, she didn't want the kiss to stop so she moved her hands to Jean's belt loops, where her index fingers had slid themselves into. Their breathing seemed to have gotten heavier. Jean smiled down at her. "I definitely wasn't expecting that."

         "What can I say?" Mikasa asked him. "I thought I was a bit overdue with answering your confession."

         "No, you were right on time." With a little smirk on his lips, he bent his head down once more to kiss her, which she returned happily.

i found so many mistakes when i was revising this omg. this is what i get for writing this half asleep.