Chapter Seventeen ♥ "The reply"

Start from the beginning

It was hard for me to talk to her after days of being grumpy and cranky. Therefore, as a sign of my cowardice, I ignored her and walked to the fridge, grabbing myself a bottle of juice. Mother busied herself with work again, and I followed her with my eyes, sipping through my drink, standing next to the counter.

"Mom," I began, staring at my bottle. In silence I read and re-read the name of my drink's flavor, which wasn't really hard. It simply said; 'Cocktail'.

"Ha Binti, (Yes, daughter)." She replied, with utter concern and care. I looked up at her, and knew that she read my eyes.

"Mother, I..." I paused, unable to complete. She left whatever that was in her hand and dismissed the maid who was helping her. Once we were left alone, she offered me a chair and settled down opposite me.

"What is it, my child?" Mother asked with such tenderness, it made me want to kneel right before her. As confused as I was, yet I didn't spare myself any time to think.

"Mother, I don't know what to do." I muttered, coming straight to the point. "You guys have put me in such a difficult situation." I grumbled, pouting. I came to mother with my distresses, just like I always did when I had a problem. I needed her advice, hers above all.

"It's not just you; every girl has to face this situation. It's a part of every one's life."

"Yeah, but not every girl's family emotionally tortures them." I taunted.

"No one is emotionally torturing you." She disagreed, voice firm. "If you want to do this, if you think you are ready, then put your trust in God and take a step." mother proposed.

"But I am not ready."

"Then when will you be? All the girls your age are happily married and will soon have kids too."

"Mother," I shook my head. "I don't want you to lecture me. Hamad's already done that." I spat.

An abrupt hushed silence fell among us; all the while she looked at me, disappointedly. "Listen child," She continued, later on.  "Your brother says Zayed is a really pleasant man and he seems very interested in you. Otherwise what kind of a man would come and knock on your door, when they can easily knock your window. He is a man of honor."

"Mom, I don't want you to praise him in front of me either." I groaned and she hid a smile.

"He deserves it; or else why would I praise a man who doesn't deserve it!" She uttered, grabbing both my hands in hers.

"Yeah, right." I looked down at our hands, embarrassed.

"Then what do you want me to say?" She offered. I thought about it for a while and realized I didn't want her to say anything. I wanted her to listen to me.

"I had a dream." I announced, glancing at her. Mother straightened up a little, all at once, determined. She had talked to me before and asked me to pray Salat-al-istikharah, for God's guidance, to help me make my decision. I did as I was told.

"And what did you see?" was her question and the reason for my abashment. I was unaware of the right way to put this. I think there was no right way to put this.

"Umm, I was in our garden." I began, pointing with my left hand to the trees that were on the kitchens left. Last night's memory of Zayed standing there made me want to disappear right there. How was I going to explain my dream to mother?

She nodded, encouragingly.

"But I wasn't alone." I revealed. This made her grimace, slightly.

"He was there with you?" Mom guessed it right, sparing me the embarrassment. I nodded.