Chapter 6

I walked home that morning in silence. Something was definitely wrong with Jess, and I knew it. I walked past the lot, flinching at the memory of the accident. I knew it was my fault. It was my fault that my girlfriend had almost died. It was my fault that she had to go home to abusive parents. It was my fault that she was suffering. Everything came back to me. Me and my stupid decision. My stupid decision of talking to her in the first place that night at the drive in. I caused all of this...
I walked back to Ponyboy's house, seeing Steve and Soda outside on the porch. They were talking quietly, averting my gaze when I walked by. Upon stepping in the door, I saw Dally with his head in his hands, sitting there quietly. Darry was walking around the kitchen, and I couldn't find Two-bit. Darry called me into the kitchen, and I sat down at the table. "Johnny, do you realize how much danger you put Jess in, taking her home today?" Darry asked. I shook my head, raising an eyebrow. He went on, looking me dead in the eyes. "Jess' mother called while you were gone and said that her father was drunk. He's beating her worse than ever this month, God knows why. She could die this time, Johnny. It's gotten that bad."
Darry's words broke my heart. Jessica Holland, the girl who I loved with all my heart, might die? "It's all my fault!" I yelled, turning around and slamming my fist into the wall. Ponyboy pushed past me and ran out of the house, his brothers following. Dally grabbed my wrist, pulling me out of the house. We began to run. Ponyboy lead, Darry and Soda followed closely, then Dally and I behind them. "We gotta get to her house quick!" Pony yelled, running faster than I imagined possible. We followed behind him, hearing screaming when we turned on her road. "That's her!" I shouted, running across people's yards to get there quicker. Dally followed me, while the three others kept to the street. When we got to her house we were silent. Darry went up to the door and knocked while we kept our distance. I was sitting on the ground, shaking. Dally sat beside me with his hand on my shoulder. Technically, we weren't sitting. We were just kneeling down waiting for Darry's signal. I saw the door open up and a small woman step outside. She looked afraid, but grateful that Darry was there. "My poor baby is inside, and he won't let me near her!" She sobbed. Darry then ran his fingers through his hair. That was our signal. Two-bit and Soda ran forward, joining Darry on the porch. Ponyboy and Steve ran around either side of the house, while Dally and I went to the back. We had every exit blocked, and could get in at any moment.
*Darrys POV*
"Who are those boys? And is that Jessica's boyfriend?" The woman asked. I nodded, "They're here to help you, ma'am. We want Jess back just as much as you do. They've got the exits blocked, now these two beside me will go in and fight for her. You stay outside with the boys in the back." Two-bit and Soda ran into the house, searching for Jess. "Jessie?" Soda screamed his nickname for the girl. I heard a muffled response, but couldn't do anything since I was supposed to be blocking the front door. I looked through the window, seeing Jess doubled over on the ground, with a man standing beside her. He had a pipe in his hand, which I assumed had hit her on the head. Soda was on the man in seconds, repeatedly trying to choke him and hit him with a lamp. (he needed to brighten up..) Two-bit was carrying Jess out the door while they were distracted. I let them out, and took Jess in my arms. Sitting down, I heard footsteps behind me. "Darry! Jess?" Johnny's fearful voice broke into my thoughts.
"Johnny.." I choked out. Now looking, Jess had many open gashes covering her face, arms, legs, and stomach. She looked horrible, and at one point even lifeless. I couldn't imagine this being the beautiful young girl that Johnny had fallen in love with. Johnny sat down beside me on the porch, his eyes locked on Jess' pale face. I looked up when the front door slammed, seeing an angry man in the doorway. "Damnit Soda, you lost em!" I heard Steve and Dally yell. The gang came running over, blocking Jess' father from reaching her. I held Jess closer, while Johnny stiffened beside me. Guess he figured I was hurting her. It took Steve, Dally, and Ponyboy to fight off her father while the rest of us ran to my house. Johnny fought hard to keep up with me, since I ran my hardest. When we got to the house, Johnny let the other two get inside before he locked the door. I sat down with Jess in my arms, while Johnny, Two-bit, and Soda were pacing and looking out the window.
*back to Johnny's pov*
I looked from the window to Jess and Darry. The room was silent, I guess we were all scared for the rest of the gang to arrive and for Jess to wake up. I sat down in the armchair, my hands shaking badly. Soda came over and put his hand on my shoulder, while I just sat there trying not to cry. "It's all your fault, you caused this." A voice repeated in my mind.
  It will always be your fault.