Chapter 4

It had been a few weeks since I met Jessica Holland. We had grown close, but I didn't have the nerve to ask her to be my girlfriend.
We were sitting in the house one night. Soda and Steve were play wrestling on the floor, while Dally and Two-bit threw cake crumbs at them. ( cough cough AngiAlayLotte )
Dally was jumping up and down, cheering for Soda with a wide grin. Steve was winning, but soon enough Soda flipped him over, repeatedly punching his chest. Jess covered her eyes when he brought up a fist that had blood on it. "Johnny, I have the thought that they're not playing around." She whispered. I took her hand in mine, smiling widely. "It'll be okay, they do this all the time."
Now, Soda was hitting Steve's face. Every time he brought up his fist, it had either a busted knuckle or more blood on them. Darry tried to haul Soda off, and it took both him and Dally to get him off of Steve. I let go of Jess' hand, running over to Steve. He was lying on the ground with a busted lip, bloody nose, a swollen eye, and a few small gashes on his face. I glared at Soda. "How could you intentionally hurt him? He's your best friend!"
Soda rolled his eyes. "He was askin' for it the second he came in here with this stupid fuckin attitude." Dally gasped. Soda never cussed, and he only had once since I was around. Jess walked over and crouched down beside Steve. She brushed a finger across one of the smaller gashes, pulling away when he groaned. "Steve, we won't hurt you. Just lay still and let us help you." He closed his eye, since the other one had swollen shut by now. Darry took Soda out on the porch and started yelling at him. Two-bit brought out the first aid kit, and I went to work. Jess cleaned the blood from his cuts, and I bandaged them. We got ice for his eye, and a little bit of gauze for his nose. (Note I am not familiar with this since blood freaks me out. Unless it's my own 😂)
We lead Steve to the couch, letting him lay down. He thanked us for helping, and that's when Soda walked in. "Steve, I'm sorry for trying to beat the shit out of you. I just got angry." Steve shrugged, shutting his eyes. He was obviously in pain, and wanted to make sure Soda knew it. "It's cool, man. You didn't break anything."
I rolled my eyes, walking out of the house. I slammed the door shut, stuffing my hands into my pockets and walking down the road. Of course, Jess followed me. I heard her yelling for me while I was walking, but didn't turn around. I turned a corner into the lot, sitting down against a building. Jess sat down beside me, obviously angry. "Dammit Johnny, you had everyone worried!" She exclaimed, glaring at me. I scoffed, "But they weren't worried when Soda jumped on Steve for the first time, huh?" Jess rolled her eyes. "What put you in such a bad mood..." I looked away, running a hand through my bangs. "Nothin', don't worry about it." I muttered. Jess obviously wasn't gonna let this go. "Jonathon Cade you explain right now or I'm leaving and not coming back." I started to get angry then. "If you want to leave then you can leave, it's not gonna affect me any!" I yelled. Jess looked hurt. Not mad anymore, straight up hurt. Guilt overwhelmed me, and I opened my mouth to reply. She glared at me before I could, getting up and running off. I didn't bother to follow her, and just started my walk home.
~~
The gang and I hadn't seen Jess in two days. We didn't leave the house much, and I never left the couch. Dally said I would yell "It's all my fault.." In my sleep, and I knew it was true. We were watching Mickey Mouse with Two-bit when the phone ran. Darry got up and answered. "Hello?"
The other caller talked for about two minutes.
"Yes, we'll be there soon, thank you for calling."
He hung up the phone. I was sitting up now, staring at him with wide eyes. Dally stood up, along with Steve and Ponyboy, and were facing him now. Of course, Two was still watching Mickey. "That was the hospital, Jess got into a car accident and is in critical condition." Darry whispered. I began to breathe heavily. I heard Dally shout for me before everything started spinning, and I fell back into darkness.
A/N: Soda had left for work by then so he won't show up until later
When I woke up, we were sitting in the waiting room. Apparently Dally had carried me in there when we got the call. "Daryl Curtis?" Someone asked. He turned around to face a nurse. "Yes?"
"Ms. Holland is awake, and she has asked to see you all." We got up and followed her to Jess' room. She left us at the door, and the gang exchanged worried glances. "You wanna go in first, Johnnycake?" Darry asked. I nodded shakily, opening the door and walking in.
Jess was laying on the bed, looking broken and limp. Her eyes fluttered open when I walked up to the bed. "Johnny?" I smiled weakly, brushing a strand of hair from her face, which was bruised. "Hey, J-Jess..." I felt horrible about the accident. She had broken her collarbone, and had to have surgery on her stomach. "I'm so sorry about this, I know it was my fault." I whispered, my voice breaking. I tried my best not to cry. She smiled, grabbing my hand. "It's okay Johnny, I forgive you for the argument. It was my fault for the accident though.."
We sat there in silence for a little while, until someone knocked on the door. "Can we come in yet?" Ugh, Dally. I walked out of the room to be greeted by the gang. Ponyboy had a bouquet of white roses in his hand. "Give these to her, we bought them and signed it from you." Dally smiled. I grinned, taking the flowers and letting them walk in first. I followed closely behind, taking the time to read the card.
"There are 15 white roses in this bouquet. When the last one dies, I will stop loving you. Jessica, will you be my girlfriend?"
Real smooth, guys. All roses die eventually. I looked closely, seeing one of the roses was different. I touched it, and saw that this rose was fake. My face reddened, and I moved forward from the back of the group. Jess' eyes darted from me to the flowers to the gang, and she had a huge smile on her face when I handed them to her. Dally was grinning from ear to ear, and so were Steve, Darry, and Ponyboy. Jess inspected the bouquet, then slowly opened the card. Her eyes were glowing. "Well I don't have a reason to say no!" She gasped, sitting up. The gang began to cheer quietly, and I ran over, wrapping my arms around her. She was crying, and I knew it wasn't one of those sad cries because she was also laughing softly. "I love you, Johnny Cade." She whispered. I smiled, "I love you too, Jessica Holland."
~~~~
Okay kinda adorable kinda crappy ending. Jess will be fine, and the next few chapters will be drama / worry free!