♜four

~ I Leave For a Weird Camp ~

| j o h a n n a |

My mother's jaw dropped.

"Er, Mrs. Sorenson?" Leo knitted his brows.

"W-What did you just say, young man?" my mother's voice trembled slightly.

"My dad's Hephaestus."

"Not more Greek shit," I groaned.

They both looked at me.

"No cursing young woman!" my mother's face was white, and I don't think it was from my words.

"She needs to go. I can tell she's powerful."

"I-but-she's never shown the signs! How can you be sure-"

"Listen, lady," Leo slammed his fist down on my mother's desk. "I know exactly who you are. Why the hell you fucked a god is beyond me, but you did, and apparently your birth control didn't work too well. You, of all people should know that the gods' genes always show through. So shut the fuck up and give me permission to take your daughter to where she truly belongs."

"Why, you despicable thing! How dare you barge I'm here and demand to take my daughter, who I have worked day and night to provide for! And I'll have you know that I left my past behind years ago, and-"

I blinked as I felt a familiar sensation bubble up inside me. 3, 2, -

"WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON, MOTHER? I BRING A RANDOM KID TO MEET YOU AND YOU GO FUCKING INSANE. WHAT'S ALL THIS SHIT? 'I KNOW WHO YOU ARE' 'YOU OF ALL PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW' 'IVE LEFT MY PAST BEHIND'. YOU HAVENT NOTICED ANYTHING DIFFERENT ABOUT ME? I HAVE NO IDEA WHATS GOING ON, BUT I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW YOU HAVENT GIVEN ME MORE THAN A GLANCE SINCE I WAS SEVEN. YOU HAVENT NOTICED THAT I NO LONGER SLEEP IN MY PINK, PRINCESS BEDROOM. YOU HAVENT NOTICED MY ADHD. YOU HAVENT NOTICED MY F-AVERAGE. SO DONT GIVE ME BULLSHIT, MOTHER. TELL ME WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON RIGHT NOW."

My chest rose and fell as I gulped in deep breathes.

My mother grit her teeth and her intelligent, gray eyes glared menacingly at me. Her jaw was taught, and her dark hair was slightly frazzled. I could see her natural blonde roots peeking through.

"Fine," she spat at Leo. "Take my ungrateful daughter to that disgusting camp of your's."

I stalked out of her office with a huff, slamming the French doors shut after Leo exited also.

"I can't believe her nerve," I seethed, still attempting to calm down.

"Hey, calm down," Leo said slowly, putting a hand on my shoulder. I relaxed slowly.

"So, should I pack a bag?" I ask, still digging my fingernails into my palms to keep myself from snapping

"Uh, yeah. You'll be at camp for a whole summer, so..."

"Pack a lot?" I finished for him. He nodded and I spun on my heel and ran up two flights of stairs to my attic.

I dug my faded leather duffle out of my closet and set it on my bed. I sifted through my drawers, pulling out random articles of clothing and tossing them into my bag.

I then proceeded to shove the whole Harry Potter series into the old bag.

I grabbed my duffel and swung it over my shoulder. I gave my beloved old room a last glance, then ran down the stairs to Leo

I grabbed my phone off the counter and turned to him. "I suppose I am aloud to bring my phone?"

"Actually no, but I won't stop ya. My friend, Annabeth, doesn't listen to that rule so I don't see why you should either."

"Okay. Let's go," I lead Leo to the front

Without giving the house a second glance, I slam the door shut behind me and follow Leo.

[Natalie Portman plays Jo's mom]