04) day to remember

I haven't talked in what seemed like forever. My family has tried everything. I felt bad cause Mom literally started crying last night when I just stared at my dinner. She tried asking me to eat but when I didn't answer she lost it. Then Justin got mad at me for not talking to him. "Twins are supposed to talk to each other to help each other how can I help you if you don't talk to me" he said. It was just another one of his Moods. But I cried myself to sleep last night. But the worst part was. I wasn't sleeping in my own room anymore. I've hidden myself away in Kyle's room.

But I woke up this morning to Justin walking in. I don't think he even noticed. Well because I was on the bed covering myself with the blankets. He looked at the pictures. He picked one up then stared at it. Then he opened up a chest at the end of the bed. "A lot to learn from there" my Dad said coming into the room.

Justin glared at him as he picked up something and started playing with it. "Learn what" he croaked.

Dad looked completely in serious mode. "About becoming a man" he never took his eyes off of Justin.

"Enlisting and getting killed like Kyle" but that's when I had enough. I picked up Kyle's favorite blanket and stormed out of the room. I ripped open our bedroom door and slammed it shut. Then I collapsed on my bed.

"All Kyle ever did was try to prove something to you if he didn't he wouldn't have joined up" by now I had tears streaming down my face. I heard footsteps going down the steps.

"What would you know about Kyle" Dad said but Mom interrupted.

"Hey" she yelled but they kept talking. "Guys" she finally yelled. But I couldn't hear anything after that. The next thing I know Justin opened to door to our room.

"Come on Jen" he said poking me in the side. "You know I didn't mean it" I rolled over so I could look at him instead of the wall. He wiped my tears. "Come on we're going somewhere" he the put his right arm under my legs and his left around my back and picked me up. I still had Kyle's blanket in my hand as I wrapped my arms around his neck and hid my face in his shoulder.

He carried me all the way towards the car and put me in the back seat. I had no clue where we were going but everyone seemed tense. I had my black cap on and I snuggled into the blue fuzzy blanket.

"Jenna are you okay sweetheart" Mom tried to say but I tipped the bill of my hat down so they couldn't see my face.
I heard a sigh and leaned closer to the window snuggling into the blanket.

We drove for what seemed to be forever. "Jenna" I felt someone poke into my side. I knew it was Justin by his voice. I groaned and put my hat back on my head. I looked out the window to see we were at some dog shelter. I gave my twin a questioning look but all he did was shrug.

Justin jumped out of the car and I followed him. The Marine guy from yesterday let us inside and shut the door behind us. "Animals can come down with PTSD same as people" we stopped in front of cage to find dogs walking back and forth. "Max bonded so closely with Kyle its been impossible to get him to follow orders from anyone else" Max laid on the ground completely fine.

"This family takes care of its own" Mom said then the Marine went over and tried speaking to Max and he freaked out. He looked at Me and I looked back at Mom. She nudged me forward and I walked towards the kennel with the blanket wrapped around myself.

I put the blanket down on the ground in front of Max and he sniffed it carefully before pawing it into his cage. "Hey" I whispered sitting down in front of the cage. "You remember me" then I put my hand out a little he sniffed it then backed away.

"Sure you wanna do this" the Marine said. Mom still had her eyes on me. She was still in shock that I had talked. Nobody said anything and he gave Justin a red toy. "Ok slowly no sudden moves" Justin inched forward and I stood up walking back towards Mom who pulled me into a hug.

"What do I do with my hand to" Justin said having some trouble. The Marine showed him the most simplest thing ever. All he pretty much had to do was show him the toy and say sit.

I laid my head on my Moms shoulder as my Dad hugged me from the side. "Sit" Justin said showing him the toy and Max did just that that. Never taking his eyes off the toy. "Good psycho hound" he said putting his hand through the bar. Max grabbed the toy without hesitation. Then Justin tried petting him but he growled. "Just enjoy that" then Max laid down and started to chew on the toy.

Justin came back over and stood beside Mom. "Ok Sergeant we'll be taking him home" then the biggest smile came onto my face. Max looked at me then rolled into the blanket.

I hugged Dad smiling then walked over to Justin and ruffled his hair.

This was definitely a better day...