Chapter 1

Lexa

"What's wrong? What's going on?" I asked, hurrying away from the disappointed Blue Cliff children. Indra led me toward a private corner and spoke in a hushed voice. What trouble had Clarke gotten herself into now?

"She didn't say much, just that—," Indra started. Her first few words already gave me some relief.

"You spoke to her directly?"

Indra nodded. "Yes, Heda."

I smiled softly. At least she wasn't too hurt to speak...

"Continue."

"She just said that there's something you need to see. She'll be waiting for you in Polis when you return in two days time." Indra said.

I shook my head. "No, I have to leave now."

"Heda...,"

"Indra, she would not be calling if it were not important." I said, thinking of her teary eyes as I left and how, even though she wasn't here with me, I could always feel her loneliness just as I was sure she could feel mine.

Indra looked up at me warily but after a moment nodded. 

"It will take some time to get the warriors together," Indra said. I turned and began to walk towards the building where we were staying. Indra ran forward and continued with me. 

I shook my head as I turned the corner and began to march up the narrow stairs. 

"I will leave now. Without warriors." I said, parading into my room and grabbing my bags from the wardrobe. They had only just been put in there this morning. I began to shove my armor and clothes into them, not caring whether they were neatly folded and organized. I could take care of that later. 

"I will come with you." Indra said. I paused and turned around to look at her earnestly. 

"Alright." I nodded. "Pack your things and make sure the others are ready to depart after us in the next day or so."

Indra nodded and her footsteps echoed down the stairs. 

I took the opportunity to stop my hands from moving and close my eyes. I was so worried about Clarke that I hadn't even acknowledged the stirring in the bottom of my stomach. I was nervous. And not nervous about Clarke or whatever conversation she had gotten herself into—but nervous to see her again. What if something had changed? What if this time apart gave her some clarity too, and she realized she did not feel the same about me as I did about her anymore? 

My heart seized and for a moment I couldn't breathe as I began to think about all the what ifs. After a few moments, I got myself under control and started to pack again. The second everything was put away, I dragged my bags down the stairs and spotted Astraeus at the base of the stairs. I slung my bags over his back and slid on in a matter of seconds. Indra was behind me. 

"Are you sure about this Heda?" Indra asked as I started Astraeus into a gallop. 

"I trust her." I breathed as I kicked Astraeus, sending him off into a sprint.

The citizens of Polis accepted me warmly when I arrived. I was relieved to find that nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I only paused a moment in a dense crowd before continuing on toward the tower. My thoughts and my heart were only with Clarke, and I couldn't give my people the attention they craved. 

Astraeus pushed forward, breathy snorts coming out of his nose as he sprinted. People were quick to move out of the way, and I quickly considered if Clarke was so urgent that I needed to risk the safety of my people. But no one had gotten hurt yet...so I continued on.