Getting ready

"So what now,huh?"
"What time do you start work?"
"7."
"Good. We'll go to your work together."
"What will I say to everyone?"
"I'm your bodyguard. You've got an awful ex- wife" he laughed
"Sure..."
"No, I'm joking, I will be somewhere close. It's better not to have visitors. It may take time. Girlfriend?"
"Not exactly, but yes, someone present in my life"
"Important?"
"Not so much, but don't want her to be harmed. "
"Sure."
"You need to change."
"Meaning?"
"Meaning you smell a fed. You can take sth out of my closet if you want."
Matt went inside and came back wearing my jeans and longsleeve.
"Good. Looks well."
"I feel better, too. Ok let's go."
I met her at the parking. She's just parked her car outside the lab. We approached her and I explained that Matt is my bodyguard for a week - attached to me by my rehab sponsor. She agreed on him as long as he stays outside the lab.
I was working and he was sitting and reading, keeping his eyes open. I was armed, my t-shirt and jacket were hiding a belt holster. Matt was wearing his under his arm. I was tense, nervous and I couldn't focus on my job.
Allie discovered it quickly .She even asked if I drank anything yesterday. I said no, but I'm not sure she believed me. We worked separately in silence.
On the break I sat outside on the balcony and wondered how long it will take the guy to get to me. I'm really stress - resistant, but it was horrible. I was afraid, because of all these people around- didn't want them to get any harm because of me.
Matt joined me on the balcony.
"How are you doing? Don't be so stressed.It can take a while until he gets here for you."
"Thanx man...you're not helping"
I know he smiled. "But that's the truth. Is there anyone you'd like to see? Talk to?That may be your last chance. Never know what happens" he said seriously.
"No. Not really. Everyone thinks I'm dead and let it stay that way. They've already suffered enough."
"Ok. Let's go. Gun?"
"Yeah. I've taken it."
" Good. Don't look for me. I'll be around."
During the day I was very anxious. Watched others nervously, but didn't see anything special. Allie caught me at lunch break.
"Hey are you coming tonight? We could have.."
"No." I said in a loud voice. "No. I've got a lot to do. Not tonight."
"But..."
"No, Allie. I've got no more time for you. Sorry. We're not really compatible I guess. " She looked at me sadly.
I knew I was being harsh, but it was intended. I didn't want her to follow me, or be with me. I didn't want her hurt or dead because of me. Nobody is gonna die because of me anymore.
All I wanted to do was to be sure that even if I'm not gonna make it, no one else will be hurt.
I decided to make a call.
"Caine. "
"It's me. "
"Speed ,where are you?"
"..."
"Talk to me. I wanna help you."
"If you wanna help me, check the data for me. Look for people who were hired at the lab after I left, and are absent from work today."
"Why?"
"The FBI gives me 6 days. "
"6 days? I...I don't understand."
"They assume that it will be over, this or that way."
"Oh, come on. I'll help you. All  I need to know is where you are."
"..."
"Speed? Speed. Tell me!"
"No. Find that data for me. Please. "
"You know we wouldn't do anything to harm you."
"...I trust no one now. I don't know anything now. And I'm not sure if anything. One thing I surely know is that, it's better to know who I'm gonna meet with a pointed gun. Find that person for me, H. If you care. "
"If I care, Speed? If I CARE? You're joking right? How can you ask?" I felt his anger.
"I don't know H. I must go. I'll call again. How much time do you need?"
"An hour. Maybe I could phone you back? How are you feeling?"
"How do you THINK I AM?!! "
I raised my voice. "Terrified! I'm afraid of dying once again! Of such an intensive pain I felt! Of loneliness and existence I'm leading now!!!..."
".... I'm so sorry you suffered so much." He said very quietly.
"I don't know what to say. "
"No. I'm sure you don't."
"You don't trust me, don't you?" He said still in a quiet voice.
"I trust nobody. I' ll call. "
I hung up. Satt on the floor with my head in my hands.
"Hey. you're ok?"
"Yeah. Leave me alone for a while, ok?"
"Sure. I'll be in the car."
When I left the building with the biggest headache ever, I got another call from Matt.
"Hey Speedle! Before you enter your car, check it under. "
"Yeah, sure. However- it would be pleasant to die that way. "
"Yeah, and you don't need to be washed after death" he chuckled
"Thanks Matt. "
"What for?"
"For being supportive even in this special way"
"No problem ,man. Let' s go home. Seems you don't have a girlfriend anymore."
"So it does. I don't want him to hurt her. It's better that way. "
"You're fond of her ,aren't you?
"Yep. But no chemistry. I realized that today."
"Well... She seems pretty engaged for me. "
"Yeah, I noticed. That's why I need to cut it off."
"Ouch... It will hurt. You'll see.. Or not..."
"Yeah- I don't know what's better".
I entered my house and sat on the sofa. I felt tired. No - exhausted. Do I really need to go thru it once again? I took two Advils and tried to calm down a little.
"Hey." Said Matt entering. "Want some coffee?"
"Nah, I need rest. My head's gonna explode any minute now."
He left for the kitchen, and at this exact moment there was a call. Unknown caller.
I saw Matt turning around, showing me to turn on a loudspeaker.
I did as he asked.
"Hello?"
"Hey ,motherfucker." I heard the voice. Yeah. Definately male.
"Who are you?"
"I'm the person, who will finally keep your mouth shut, you fuck."
"Why are you so angry with me huh?I was just doing my job."
"Because you lie. You all lie. And you seem to think you know everything better"
I saw Matt connecting some cables to a small recorder nearby. He made a well-known move, ordering me to continue the conversation as long as I can.
"Why me?" I asked "I'm just a tech."
"You're not only a tech. You're a fucking witness!! The last one. I'll make sure it stays that way."
"Do I know you?" I asked silently.
"What?!!" He got visibly angry.
"Do I know you? Did you work with me?"
"You'd like to know, wouldn't you? You'll know when we meet. So see you soon, Speedle. Don't worry. I'll try to make it fast." He hung up. Matt shook his head.
I stood speechless
"Yeah, he's angry. Furious I'd say" said Matt.
I turned around.
"I need to do something. I've got some work at the terrace. "
"No open space?"
"No. You know, he won't shoot me from a distance, I'm pretty sure."
"Why do you think so? "
"I've got the impression that he wants to confront me personally,
I don't know why. "
"Ok. Maybe gardening will soothe your mind."
"Yeah. I'd better be going. Get some sleep."
I went to the garden.