Beautifully Broken: Chapter Fourteen

Start from the beginning

Lyla sat up straight when she realized I was done with my embarrassing monologue.

"Well I think you two are going through what any two adults go through when they realize that they may have feelings for each other. Like I said last week, Julian has always been a bit closed off to attachment and friendships with women. His mom and I have been closest women in his life since I can remember so the fact that the two of you are what you are shows just how much he   Values and finds comfort in you."

My stomach contents rolled over and it felt as if I couldn't breathe for a second while I processed what Lyla had just said.

 So I was different for him too.

I took a deep breath and ran a hand through my messy lazy day curls.

“It’s just that, you know, I don’t want things to get weird you know, I’ve really enjoyed the past few weeks and what if Julian and I are actually rushing things? Or we don’t stay together and we lose our friendship? Or even worse, we end up as enemies and the whole thing is ruined?” I explained, feeling my heart race when I realized all the dire possibilities of getting into a relationship. Maybe I really am not ready for all this yet.

Lyla took a deep breath and her eyes went pensive for a second.

“If you two like each other, I’m not asking you to get together today or anything or that you should go all mushy couple on us either. All relationships have their doubts and downsides and some more than others have their downfalls. But if you two enjoy each other’s company today then why don’t you two try spending more time with each other then tomorrow you can decide again. Each day you spend with each other can be a chance for the two of you to test the boundaries of whatever’s going on between you. I just want and hope that the two of you see that there’s much more than coffee and grocery shopping between the two of you.”

It was my turn to take a deep breath. Lyla was right. I just had to stop panicking and over-analyzing everything. I wasn’t ready for anything serious and nothing much has happened till last night. We could take things as slow as possible and if the right moment came, sooner, or later then fine by me.

----

The day of the Thanksgiving Charity Ball had finally come and I was totally in the zone. I was wearing my highest black pumps and a one-shouldered glittery black cocktail dress for the beginning half of the show since I would be spending most of my time behind the stage coordinating which acts would be going on stage when. Later I would change into my outfit for my piano solo.

I walked through the ballroom sure that my eyes were alight with the glow of a child’s first time in a candy store. The walls were a light salmon with gold accents, drapes hanging from different areas within the room. The floor was a white marble which I was pretty sure I could see my reflection in if I tried to. Tables were arranged around the room each with cornucopias arranged in the center giving the room a sense of Thanksgiving but with an elegant note. The stage was simple with a dark maroon curtain separating the viewers eyes from the haywire I was sure would be going on later.

People had just begun to arrive, each of them dressed to impress. There had already been a number of well know socialites and journalists seated and knew I shouldn’t have expected any less when Prof. Altman said that there would be some big people in the Journalism sector coming tonight.

I quickly strided back stage to talk to Lyla and Julian about the whole hosting thing.

Just as I was about to push a bit of the maroon curtain so I could get through to the back, I was surprised by someone opening it for me from the other side.

“Hey, you look beautiful,” greeted Julian in all his ungodly godliness. He was wearing a simple black suit with a light salmon polo and black tie. His hair was ruffled up in that scary perfect kind of way and it took me a moment to compose myself from his complement before I could reply.