Chapter 11: Unexpected Tears

Start from the beginning

A couple seemed to be floating on a cloud

A couple seemed to be floating on a cloud. The male had his hand outstretched towards the sky, as if presenting a gift to his female companion. The female was enshrouded in pink and seemed to look into the distance with an unwavering confidence. They were surrounded by pink and blue butterflies and he immediately felt the same pain in his heart as before. 

"It's beautiful, isn't it? Ever since laying eyes on it as a child in this life, it has become my favorite...It's called the Butterfly Lovers and the story behind them is probably just as tragic as our own. In the end, they are both reincarnated into butterflies and fly off into the rainbow sky. Maybe that's why I love it so much....it gave me hope..." Mi-Rae explained. 

Namjoon remained quiet. He had heard about the story of the Butterfly Lovers. 

To pursuit her studies in Hangzhou, Zhu Yingtai disguised herself as a man. After studying for three years together with her schoolfellow Liang Shanbo, Zhu Yingtai fell in love with the intellectual. Before the farewell, Zhu Yingtai dropped hints again and again to Liang Shanbo who failed to understand it at that time. Later, after being clear about Zhu Yingtai's intentions, he headed for the Zhu family to propose marriage. Unfortunately, Zhu Yingtai had been betrothed by her father to another man. Liang Shanbo was so grief-stricken that he quickly fell ill and passed away. Zhu Yingtai headed for Liang Shanbo's tomb to offer a sacrifice to him on the day when she got married. At the time she held the memorial ceremony, a violent rainstorm brew, with thunder flashing in the sky. After a while, the tomb blew open and Zhu Yingtai sprang into it. Later on, the lovers turned into a pair of colored butterflies and flew wing to wing into the rainbow sky.

It really was a sad story. He swallowed as his eyes continued to loom over the painting in front of him.

 "It's been so hard..."

The young female looked over at Namjoon and listened as he continued on

"All these years I've had to hold everything in. I can't tell you how good it feels to have someone to talk about this with. Bringing up my past life wasn't an option. For I feared that...that..."