Chapter 17

The drive back to the bus had been heartbreaking. Even now, days later, Lauren could still hear Camila's quiet sobs. Lauren had done all she could to reassure her, but nothing seemed to appease the small girl. She had stopped crying altogether about 10 minutes before they were supposed to arrive, giving her just enough time for the evidence of her tears to disappear. It was a bit scary how accurate her timing was, and it made Lauren wonder how often she had done it.

The second she was out of the car, Camila's mask was back in place, looking as if she was ready to take on the world with just a sweet smile. Lauren knew that mask only too well, it was the same one Camila had hidden behind for months before her accident. Sadly, Lauren couldn't react right away the way she wanted to, as the girls had rushed toward them already, excited to know what they had done this weekend.

Days were flashing by as fast as they seemed to be dragging. Their tight schedule hardly gave them time to steal kisses during the day, and their exhaustion at night made it difficult to do more than just cuddle up before falling asleep right away. It didn't stop Lauren from trying to make the most of those moments: giving her her paci, offering to make her a bottle, reading or singing to her, or sometimes just giving her tummy rubs or gentle pats to put her to sleep. Those times were short, and progressively Camila started refusing them more and more often.

Worse, if Camila had no problem falling asleep, it didn't mean that she was sleeping particularly well. Every morning, Lauren would wake up to an empty bed, Camila's side already cold with Bobby tucked under the covers. Those were the kind of small details that proved to Lauren that Camila wasn't having second thoughts about being her baby like she had feared at first, but that she was struggling to repress that part of her for so long. More often that not, she would wake up and feel a soreness in her breasts that she was now familiar with, she hated how deep she could sleep when she was really tired, but she was glad her baby still came to her when she needed her the most.

Sadly, just as Lauren expected, after a week she could already spot all the signs of the young girl's exhaustion: dark bags under her eyes, smaller attention span, loss of appetite, mood swings, short temper... The list went on and on and on, and had for main consequence to...well for lack of a better term, to turn Camila into a brat. She was professional at all times during concerts, rehearsals or interviews, but once that was done, she couldn't contain it, it seemed.

"I swear to god, Lauren, you have to do something about Camila, or I might have to spank her myself!"

"What did she do this time, Mani?"

"Well, as usual she let her shoes right in front of the door, and I tripped on them and broke the heel of my shoe! When I went to look for her she had gone into hiding once again god knows where! And just now Dinah and her just squirted me with some fucking pink water! My T-shirt is ruined!"

Lauren let out a long sigh and put her book back on her bed. She'd sent multiple messages to Camila throughout the afternoon, but she had received no answers back, another new habit of hers.

"Where is she?"

"They're hiding behind the crew's truck. Cut by our bus, that way they shouldn't see you coming."

Without another word, Lauren got up, and made her way there, and indeed, the two girls were giggling away, each of them holding a little squirter otter.

"Okay, you were right, that was fun, but we should go, it's getting late. Mani's probably mad, I should go tell her the water doesn't actually stain."

"No! Let's do this a bit longer!"

"...It's getting cold, Chancho."

"It's fine!"

"We'll do it again some other time!"