Fifteen.

The next day my head pounded as I gently looked to my side to see if Jacob was next to me. Instead of finding him, I found a small note.

Good morning love. I had to leave to handle some things, but i'll call you later okay?

- J

I yawned picking up the note placing it in my diary. As cheesy and corny as it sounds, I always collect his notes and put it in my diary so I can always remember them.

I heard suitcases being brought in from downstairs as I immediately knew who it was. "DAD!" I screamed running down the hall reaching the stairs. Before I went down, I saw an unfamiliar boy around my age standing next to him. "Piper! Love! I missed you!" My dad held his arms wide as I slowly walked down the stairs. "Who's that?" I whispered giving a short hug. "My intern. He's going to be staying here for a few weeks helping me out with my job and such...will that be a problem?" The boy made eye contact but quickly looked away as if he were threatened. "Nah. That's fine. Ill show him to our guess bedroom." My dad smiled at me as he gave my mom a hug. "Just um..follow me." I walked towards the kitchen making two turns. "We have a bedroom upstairs too if you prefer" "No. This is okay. Thanks." I nodded my head and awkwardly stood there. "So...your name?" He sat his suitcase on the mattress letting out a deep sigh. "Kayden." I began playing with my necklace as the room grew tense. "Oh okay. I'm Piper..if you need anything don't hesitate to ask." He nodded taking out his phone. Quietly leaving the room I saw my dad speaking with my mom in the kitchen.

"Why is he so shy and awkward." My dad stopped talking as he gave me a look of grief. "The kid just lost his younger brother so he's not in the best shape right now. He really needed this internship, so I gave it to him." I sighed rubbing my eyes. "Can't he stay somewhere else?" My dad shook his head wiping his hand with a napkin. "His parents are really close friends of mine..though he is my intern, we should treat him like family. Nothing less." He gave me a side eye as I held my arms up in surrender. "I'll try." My mom and dad began talking again as I heard my phone ringing from a distance.

I ran up the stairs swiping my phone to answer. "Hello?" I sat comfortably on my bed as I began playing with my necklace again. "Hey hey hey!" Michelle exclaimed into the phone. I laughed at her bubbly tone laying my head onto the pillow. "What, Michelle?" I heard shuffling in the background before she answered. "I got tickets to go to the Bryson Tiller concert! DO YOU KNOW HOW BIG THIS IS?!" I turned down the volume on my phone as Michelle screamed. "It's tonight, and I was wondering if you would like to accompany me?" Laughing I shifted my head off the pillow. "Hell yeah I'm down!" I heard her yell happily on the other line as I chuckled. "Oh, and you can bring your little boo or whatever." I smiled bringing the phone closer to my ear. "If you want, my dad has a cute new intern guy that's around our age..I can bring him for you?" "Hmmm." She replied debating over the phone. "How tall is he?" "Around maybe...5'11?" I rolled my eyes as I can hear her debating on the other phone. "He'll do. Be ready by 7? Gotta go!" Before I can say anything else, she hung up.

Exiting out of the phone app I went to my messages.

P: Are you down to come with me to the Bryson Tiller Concert?

J 💛 : ew no. i don't fuck with his music.

P: don't be fucking lame. please? for me? 😕

J 💛 : who's gonna be there?

P: Michelle

J 💛 : fuck no 💀