Chapter 17: I Don't Understand

Start from the beginning

I waited only a few minutes, and then I saw Jack emerge from the doors with Snyder next to him. He did not have the hand cuffs on any more. 

"Jack! Come on, come on!" I waved at him.

Jack saw me and looked surprised. He then jumped over the railing of the stairs and took off towards me. Jack and I were pretty fast, so we out ran the men trying to follow us. 

I then heard Snyder shout, "After them!" He jumped on the carriage and the driver waved the reins for the horse to move forward. The horse went, but the carriage stayed in place. My brother and I ran back through the bronze gates and down the street. Guess my not so well thought out plan worked. I looked behind me and saw all the men just looking at us.

We ran until we almost reached the square. Jack all of a sudden stopped.

"You shouldn't have done this Finley!" He said. 

I looked back at him, shocked. 

"They could put you in the orphanage!" Jack told me.

"I don't care..." I turned back around and began to walk towards the square.

Jack then grabbed me and put me up against the wall so I couldn't run away from him.

"Finley, they's can get you and put you's in the orphanage. They knows about you, and they's know you's a goil. I ain't playin'!" Jack looked away from me. "Thanks for what ya done but get outta 'ere."

I pushed his hand off my shoulder. "I don't understand..."

"I don't understand either but jus get outta 'ere!" Jack shouted at me and pushed me towards the square. He's never done this before to me.

Now, I was angry. "No!" I shouted back.

"Go!" He yelled again. 

I just shook my head and turned the other way. Tears streamed down my face. Why? Why would he just push me away and not want to leave? I don't understand. I was very confused. I brought my hands up to my head and wiped my face. 

I walked into the square and spotted David, Race, Mush, and Les. They saw me without Jack, and my eyes were red from crying. Race walked up to me.

"Where's Jack?" He asked. 

I kept my eyes on the ground. "He didn't want to come with me." I told them.

"Whatta you mean?" David asked.

I lifted my head. "He didn't want our help!" I realized I was shouting. My voice came back down. "Jack said 'thanks for the help, but get outta 'ere.'". 

The boys looked confused. The all looked at me for more answers, and I wish I could give them more, but I couldn't.

"But, he's Jack, the cowboy, there has to be something to it." Les said. 

I looked at Les. "I hope so Les." I told him. 

There were no more words said between us. David and Les went back to their home, and Race, Mush, and I walked back to the lodging house. I was too upset, I knew I was not going to sleep tonight. I let out a long draw breath. I then stopped in front of the lodging house. I wanted to see Spot. 

Race turned around and saw me stopped. He walked back down the steps.

"Everythin' awlright Finn?" He asked.

I kept my gaze down. "I think I'm goin' to spend the night in Brooklyn."

Race didn't say anything. He just gave me a hug. I hugged him back.