Chapter 28: Business

After resting all day, I was starting to feel a bit better. I had bruises on my face and stomach that formed. I cleaned all my cuts and took a bath. I felt cleaner and more cleansed. It was around 5 o'clock, and I decided to go for a walk. I headed towards the door and was stopped.

"Where do ya think yous goin'?" It was Jack.

I shrugged. "Jus goin' for a walk, get some fresh air."

"No, no, yous stayin' here." Jack said.

"W-why?" I was probably going to go visit Spot, I wanted to see him. I knew Jack wouldn't let me go.

"Do you jus see what happened to ya?" Jack pointed to me. "Do ya rememba? Yous got soaked pretty badly-"

"Yeah, I know Jack." I rolled my eyes. I just wanted to leave. "Can ya let me go, please? I's will be careful, come on."

Jack shook his head. "Not gonna happen. Yous ain't leavin' this place without someone wit cha, eva."

"What?" I said.

"What I's mean, wheneva yous leave, you will have someone wit cha at every second. I's don't want ya out there by youself."

"Jack, thats ridiculous-" I began to protest.

"No exceptions, I's don't trust people out there, and yous need to be safe." Jack told me.

"Seriously? I's will be fine! I's don't need a babysitter every time I step out of here!" I realized I was yelling at him. This was stupid, I have always went places by myself, and just because I got hurt once doesn't mean its going to be every time. I can take care of my self.

"Jack, jus please let me go." I started to push past him. He just shoved me back.

"Where do you wanna go?" Jack asked.

"Jus for a walk." I looked at the ground, trying to hide my lie.

Jack crossed his arms. "Where do ya really wanna go?"

I bit my lip, then figured, if he wasn't going to let me just take a walk, why lie to him about this. "I wanna go to Brooklyn."

Jack rubbed the back of his neck. "Come on Finley, Brooklyn is dangerous and-"

"And?" I questioned.

Jack just looked at me. "I's comin' wit cha. I's need to talk to Spot."

"Fine." I said.

I pushed past him and walked through the door and down the steps, Jack followed. We walked mostly in silence all the way to Brooklyn, except for the small comments about the people in the streets and beautiful horses that pasted us.

We reached the docks where the Brooklyn newsies lived. I walked right up onto the dock.

"Hey Mac, hey Bud." I greeted the two boys.

"Heya Finn, hows ya feelin'?" Bud asked.

"Betta, but still need a little bit more rest." I shrugged. "Spot around?"

"Yeah, check his room." Bud told me.

"Thanks!" I said, and started to walk around the crates. I then turned around to Jack. "Yous should stay here, let me talk to him foirst."

Jack sighed and rolled his eyes at me. "Fine." He said.

I chuckled and turned back around. I walked up to Spot's door and knocked.

"Get out, I's busy." I heard Spot say.

"Too busy to see me?" I said, tauntingly.

I then heard footsteps and Spot opened the door. I leaned against the door frame and smiled at him.