Chapter 24: Thank Ya, I Mean It

"Dis, is not your fault." I said to Spot. Tear started to form in his eyes. He was very upset.

"Look, Finn, they's jus wanted to get back at me, and they went afta ya, and..." He trailed off. He hung his head.

"Hey, hey," I said, lifting his face with my hand. His eyes met mine. "I's still here, I's still alive. I'll get betta soon. Dis, is not your fault."

Spot sighed and took a deep breath. He then put all his focus on me. "Okay, let's get you back and fix ya up."

I nodded. Spot helped me up, holding on to my arm. My legs only had scratches, but they felt weak. I stood up and had to hold on to Spot for support. He pulled me closer to him and kept his grip on my arm. We walked slowly out of the alley way. There were not many people around. The sun was already setting and everyone was headed inside their homes to prepare for the night. Spot turned left, heading back to Brooklyn.

"Wait," I said. Spot stopped and looked at me. "Can we's go to 'hattan?"

I really wanted to see my brother. I wanted him to see how I looked and to get back at those boys form Queens, he would.

Spot sighed and then we turned around. I knew he was worried bringing me back to Manhattan like this. I'm sure Jack's first reaction is going to be what did Spot do to me?

"Don't ya worry 'bout Jack, dis was not your fault." I looked at Spot. His eyes caught mine. "I's won't let him touch ya."

Spot chuckled. "Ya know, I's the big bad Brooklyn newsie, who most are afraid to approach, and I's neva get scared, but I's was today." His sky blue eyes were still fixed on me.

I smiled at him. He truly liked me, Spot Conlon cared about me.

"Your brotha hasn't scared me eva, I mean, he's a tough guy, but I's a little worried about walkin' you up like tis."

"Jus let me talk, 'kay?" I told him. Spot nodded.

We finally reached the Manhattan lodging house after a slow walk back. I saw Jack from the distance sitting outside with Race, Mush and Kid. I was still about 50 feet away and Jack lifted his head up and spotted me. I saw his face grow worried and he ran over to me, the rest following.

"Finn!" Jack cried, coming to a short stop right very close to my side. "Oh my god, Finn, what happened!"

Jack proceded to take me from Spot's arms. I didn't want to leave Spot, but this was probably not the best time to tell Jack about us. Race pushed in front of Spot, and I was forced to let go of his arm.

"Jesus Finn, what happened?" Race asked, very concerned. His face looked upset.

Jack looked at me in panic. "Finley, who did tis to ya?" It's like Jack finally realized Spot was with me. He was standing on the side watching over me. 

"Spot Conlon!" He yelled. Jack let go of my arm and marched over to him. "Spot, was tis you?!"

Jack was angry. I saw his face turn beat red and Spot's eyes widened. He took a few steps back.

"No, no, Jack, I's..." Spot stuttered. Jack was in his face now, he gave Spot a shove on his shoulder.

"Jack!" I yelled as loud as I can, all though, my mouth still hurt so it wasn't much. He didn't hear me. "Jack!" I said again.

He looked over his shoulder at me. He was breathing heavily and his fists were clenched.

"It wasn't him. He, actually saved me." Jack turned his head back to Spot. "If it weren't for him, I's would be dead Jack!"

Jack took a deep breath and relaxed. He did not keep his eyes off of Spot. Spot just stood there, looking back into his eyes.

"It ain't his fault. He saved me." I repeated. "These boys thought they's were tough and decided to pick on a guy, and they chose me. Of course , you's know me, I fought back and teased them, and they's didn't like that. So, they kept hittin' me. I'll be fine though, really, I's alive."

"Damn right you's alive." Jack turned back to me. "They coulda killed ya, why, I don't even know."

He rubbed his face with his hands.

"Get her inside, but bring her into the office behind Mr. Kloppman's desk, I's don't want anyone else to see 'er like this." Jack ordered us.

Mush took a hold of my other arm and the three boys brought me inside. I was tired, I just wanted my brother, and I just wanted Spot, but that was not happening. I turned around to look at Spot. He caught my gaze and he smiled at me. I wanted him to be by my side. I turned my head around to face the lodging house and I climbed up the steps.

*Spot's perspective*

I watched Finn being carried into the lodging house. She looked to helpless, I just wanted to be with her. I wanted to make sure she was going to be okay, but it would be too suspicious if I stayed. Jack turned back around to face me. He crossed his arms.

"Well Spot, I guess I owe ya a thank you." Jack said to me.

I put my hands in my pockets and nodded. I was trying to not show the worried look on my face.

"Thank ya, I mean it," He continued. "But I gotta ask, why'd ya do it? I mean, why'd ya help? The Spot Conlon I have known for many years, ain't that guy."

"Well Jackie boy, people change." I said. "And like you's said, we's known each otha for years, next ta me, you's the best newsie in New York, I wasn't gonna let you's little sista die in front of me. Sadness is bad for business." 

I spit on the ground. I tried to get one more look of Finn, but she was already inside. I looked up to see Jack staring at me.

Jack rubbed the back of his neck and sighed.

"Okay," He said, spitting into his hand.

I spit into mine and we shook hands.

"Again, thank you." Jack told me.

"Keep me updated on her." I said, Jack nodded. 

We both turned around and went our separate ways. I was not going to be able to sleep tonight, knowing Finley is in pain, and it was my fault. Those boys were after me, and she was associated with me. I looked at the Manhattan lodging house one more time, convincing myself I would see Finn, but I saw nothing but a closed door.

The sun was now down and darkness showed itself throughout the sky. I would have to sneak back here tomorrow night, when no one was around. She may be on watch all the time though, just to make sure she's okay. I would find a way, I needed to see her.

_________________________

Oh jeez