Jake Fitzgerald - Stab My Back

Jake Fitzgerald – Stab My Back

Soulmate AU: When injuries mysteriously appear on your skin, it's because your soulmate got them.

First time writing Scream the TV series and I really wanted to try.

Suggested by QueenJessN.

You believed in soulmates. You believed that every person in the world was destined to be with one specific person, someone who was created by the universe especially for them. There were many theories of how soulmates would find one another, but one that you believed was mysterious injuries.

When you look at your arm and find a scratch, but you don't own a pet that could have left such a mark. Or when you spot a contusion on your leg while changing and you can't for the life of you remember running into anything that would have left a bruise. The theory was that when such a wound appears on your body, you don't know the cause because your soulmate contracted the injury and it left an identical mark on you.

You learned early on that your soulmate was either a klutz or the subject of constant bullying. Nearly every day you would spot a bruise or scratch and once, you woke up with a black eye. You were partially excited to meet him and see why he was always getting hurt, but part of you worried that he was being abused at home or something equally scandalous. So far, none of the injuries were too severe.

Until now.

It was around six in the evening while you were cooking dinner for yourself and your mom. It was Friday so there was no school the next day, which gave you a weekend to catch up on homework and study for your history test.

As you were stirring spaghetti sauce, you felt a sharp pain in your abdomen and a gasp left your lips. You dropped the spoon, spattering sauce all over the tiled floor, before falling to your knees and clutching your belly. Your mother ran to your side, screaming when she saw blood pooling where your hand was, staining your shirt and your skin. She quickly called an ambulance, and you barely remembered hearing the siren before everything faded to black.

You awoke hours later, stitched and bandaged and lying groggy in a hospital bed. The only sound in the room was the beeping of your heart monitor, ensuring that you were still alive. Your abdomen hurt worse than anything you'd ever encountered, and you wanted now more than ever to meet your soulmate so that you could keep him safe.

Two of your best friends, Noah Foster and Audrey Jensen, sauntered into your room. Noah brought coffee and balloons while Audrey held a bouquet of flowers and a stuffed animal. You thought they were going a tad overboard with their "get well soon" presents, but you weren't going to protest free stuff.

"So," Audrey began, sitting on the edge of your bed. "You know Jake, right?"

You nodded. You'd had a secret crush on Jake for months now, but you always ignored it, thinking that he liked Brooke.

"Do you know the soulmate story where one person gets injured and the scars show up on the soulmate's body?" she continued slowly.

You nodded again.

"Jake has the same gash on his stomach," Noah finished. "Could be coincidental, but since when is anything in our lives a coincidence?"

You chewed your lip. Could the guy you'd been crushing on for months really be your soulmate?

Audrey and Noah said their goodbyes, Noah kissing your forehead and Audrey ruffling your hair. You thanked them for their gifts as they left, staring at the ceiling in thought.

A week later, they deemed you well enough to leave. You had to be careful of your stitches, but you were able to feed and dress yourself, so they let you go. On your way out, you saw Jake being discharged as well. You lingered in the doorway of his room, wanting to see him.

"Hey, (nickname)," he smirked. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"I heard that we sustained similar wounds," you stated, fingers resting on the hem of your shirt.

He raised a brow. "Did we now?"

You nodded, slowly lifting the fabric until the red scar on your abdomen was visible. His eyes widened, and you knew your friends had been right. He lifted his own shirt to reveal a similar mark, in the same position as your own.

"You know what this means, don't you?" he asked, stepping closer as he let his shirt fall back into place.

You let go of your own, looking up at him as he stood before you. "What does it mean?"

He rested a warm hand on your cheek. "It's common knowledge that matching scars are a sign of being soulmates."

You chewed your lip. "Is that so?"

He grinned, tilting his head and leaning in. You stood on your toes to accommodate the height difference, your eyes fluttering closed of their own accord. Warm lips brushed against yours gently, giving you the chance to back out. When you stayed in your spot, he kissed you more passionately, his lips melding perfectly against yours as you tilted your head to deepen the motion. Your hands rested on his chest, clutching the fabric of his shirt as he took your lower lip between his teeth. A gasp fell from your lips and he took the opportunity to slip his tongue into your mouth, exploring all he could reach.

"Maybe I should get hurt more often," he teased, breaking the kiss for air.

"About that," you replied. "No more hospital trips."

"But babe," he protested, hands winding around your waist.

A shiver ran up your spine at the nickname. "I'd really prefer you to be in one piece. We can have more fun that way."

A grin split his lips when he caught your meaning. "I like the way you think."

You threw your arms around his neck, pulling him down for another kiss. Anyone who passed by would see your passionate lip lock, but they all knew better than to interrupt you.

Once you left the hospital, Jake went home with you so that you could relax on the couch with movies and food, and make sure the other didn't get too seriously injured.