“If you’ll excuse me now, I’d best go tell my sister the news.” Xander said politely before standing. Cher nodded at him, telling him that it was okay if he wanted to do that alone. Xander really appreciated Cher’s gesture and kissed her cheek before going to find Ella.

As soon as he reached her room, he started getting nervous. His sister was still quite young, only eighteen and had already lost so much. He knocked at the door twice before she answered it.

Her appearance immediately startled him. Ella’s beautiful eyes were full of sadness and tears. Her nose and cheeks were red and splotchy, telling him that she had been crying. Xander immediately tensed, getting ready to beat whoever had made his sister cry.

He relaxed a little when she threw her arms around his waist and started sobbing.

“Ella, what happened?” Xander asked, panicked.

“Nothing, nothing.” She said in a heartbroken voice.

“Do you really think I’m going to believe you?” He asked her.

“Please, I can’t.” She whimpered. Xander couldn’t stand the sight of his sister so upset but he didn’t push her to answer.

“Ella I need to talk to you about something.” He said in a small voice as he sat her down, his arms still around her.

“What is it?” She asked in a croaky voice.

Xander knew that it wasn’t the best time to tell her but he couldn’t keep something so big from her.

“El, mom’s with dad now. I’m so sorry you have to go through all of this. I just want you to know that I will always be there for you, no matter what. I’m positive that they’re watching us right this minute, thinking why the hell we’re crying so please don’t cry. It breaks my heart.” Xander admitted softly.

Ella was hysterical now, the news of her mother shattering her further.

“Oh god, Xander. She promised that she’d come back. I-I need her, Xander. I need mom.” She sobbed into his chest.

“Ella, I know. But I promise you, I’ll do whatever I can to make you feel better. Oh El, you’re still so young. I don’t know why you’re going through this but I promise you that good things will come. Because you only deserve the best, El.” Xander choked out.

“You’re-You’re wrong.” She said, crying more.

“Why, what happened?!” Xander asked getting tense again.

“I-I found my mate. He doesn’t w-want me.” She hiccupped, her voice breaking multiple times.

Xander became absolutely furious at her words. Who in their right minds wouldn’t want their mate, especially someone like Ella?! He was raging with fury. His eyes became golden, his wolf taking over.

“Who is it?! I’ll kill him!” Xander growled.

Ella wrapped her arms around him tighter and he relaxed a little.

“I can’t tell you, not right now.” She said-her words final.

Xander knew he wouldn’t get another word out of his sister so he listened to her breathing to calm him down. After ten minutes, Xander decided to tell Ella about the conversation that had taken place in Parker’s study.

“I’m proud of you. What you did was extremely courageous and kind. I’m so, so proud of you.” Ella whispered making Xander’s heart swell. Ella had always been more practical out of the two so hearing the words from her really meant a lot to Xander.