My father nods his approval, “Yes, we do have superior experience, I’m happy that you acknowledge that,” he says, smugly.

My head’s screaming – Kade, get to the point! What do I need to hear?

Kade takes a slurp of coffee and continues, “But – you also told me to never forget that I’m dealing with The Surgeon

…“That’s correct,” cuts in my father.

Kade continues, “Well, I’d just like to remind you that you’re both dealing with The Kade.

My father smiles wide. He opens his mouth to speak…

…but – BAM! BOOM! He’s gone.

Literally disappeared.

……

It happened so fast.

It was all a blur.

He dropped, chair and all.

……

I sprint to the chill out area. A fur rug sits where the chair once was. I look from the rug to Kade. He’s smiling, “You OK, Tan? That was sick what he was suggesting and to hear it from your own father, that’s beyond evil,” he says, slurping on his coffee.

……

I’m kind of swimming in a pool of relief, tiredness and curiosity.

“What just happened?” I ask.

“Daddy sat in the naughty chair,” answers Kelly, clearing up the coffee cups as casually as one would clear up the breakfast dishes.

…..

Kade sits down, weary, “I activated a trap door, one of many similar contraptions in this house. He’s below us in a secure space, he’ll be ok, there’s water and plenty of popcorn to keep him company,” he says, matter of factly.

Kelly throws herself on the couch next to her brother, “Guys, we need to get some sleep, we all need to be fresh and on high alert,” she says.

“You’re right sis, let’s go get some Zs,” he says, yawning.

“Sleep, I don’t think I can, not when he said that she’s arriving,” I say.

Kade ruffles his hair wildly, like he’s trying to find some energy, “This place is totally secure. No one can get in unless we let them in and I won’t be duped like that again,” he says, rising and walking away, “I’m gonna go crash – good night folks.”

……

I wake suddenly – to the smell of cooking bacon.

I’m still in my clothes, on top of the bed.

I jump up and dart into the kitchen.

“Good morning, Tan, did you sleep good?” asks Kade, while attending to sizzling bacon.

I don’t answer his question, “Did I dream what happened last night?” I ask, rubbing my eyes, disorientated.

“It happened. Go pull the rug, check on your father – you can see him, he can’t see you,” he says while mixing pancake batter.

……

I pull the rug to reveal a square window that looks down on a room. My father is lying on a bed unaware of me peering down at him. That’s just how I want to see him – trapped.

I position the rug back over the window and take in the homely smells of fresh coffee and cooking.

……

“Good morning folks,” hollers Kelly, with a gravelly, just woken up voice.

 “Breakfast is served folks,” hollers Kade, pouring coffee – he’s a great host.

……

I feel like I have a home – and perhaps, a family.

……

Mmmmmm, pancakes, bacon and maple syrup – lush!

As I eat I notice Kelly looking at herself in the back of her spoon, “What a jerk, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with my nose and I don’t need no liposuction – do I?” she asks me.

“Of course you don’t, take no notice of my father; he has this warped idealized idea of beauty. He don’t live in the real world,” I say, between mouthfuls of pancake.

Kade corrects me, “But, he does, so does your mother and therein lies our problem, we have to find a very real way of stopping them – we’ll go talk with your father after breakfast,” he says.

…..

As I eat I take in my surroundings and questions invade my crowded head, “Why do you have secret trap doors and rooms – like how – why?” the question spills instinctively from me.

Kade finishes his food, wipes his mouth and explains, “Mom was a conceptual design engineer working for a secret government security agency. This place was her home and design test centre, that’s why Kelly and I are so confident of our security, my mother was excellent at her job – the best in the country,” he says with pride.

“Coolio! What about your father, what did he do?” I ask.

“He was a surgeon,” answers Kade.

My blood runs cold.

Kelly notices my unease and puts an arm around me, “Not all surgeon’s are like your mother, Tanya. My father was the kindest man, his mission was to save and enrich lives – and he did.” She squeezes my shoulder, “But I understand why that word has a bad association for you,” she adds.

“How’d they die?” I ask.

Kelly’s voice drops, “Their car collided with an articulated truck, head on, they had no chance,” she whispers this, as if to protect her brother from hearing it.

……

Kade and Kelly lead me through the labyrinthine underworld of their home. It’s a rabbit warren of tunnels and secret spaces.

A long dark corridor leads into a square space, “In here says Kade.”

The darkness unnerves me.

My eyes are adjusting to the light when Kade hits a switch and a harsh beam blinds me.

…..

Eventually my eyes adjust and I see my father safely ensconced behind a wall of thick glass.

He rises from the bed, “Good morning, I trust you all slept well? I must say, your prison facilities are most comfortable, Kade.” His voice is amplified by a sound system.

“Think of it as more a detention centre, rather than prison, Mr Lebowski,” says Kade.

My father looks around the room, “Yes, your mother is a very talented woman, as is your father,” he says with a smirk.

“Yes, they were both very talented,” says Kade.

Were, don’t you mean are?” asks my father.

“Our parents are unfortunately deceased,” says Kade.

My father walks up to the window. He raises an eyebrow, “Are they, are you sure about that, Kade and Kelly?”

For the first time since meeting him, I see Kade lose a little of his composure, “Of course, we’re sure!”

My father laughs, “You’re so naïve – your parents are talented, the very best in their business. She collects talent, she doesn’t kill it.”

“Who collects talent? “ asks Kelly.

My father lifts both eyebrows, “The Surgeon.