| one |

gif; andrew romine, detroit tigers

detroit, michigan

Dustin Lyons hates today. To be completely honest, she had been dreading this day. Today was the day her mom was set to remarry.

Gee, thanks dialogue.

However, I've only been awake 10 minutes and I just want this day to be over.

My mom was set to marry the "love of her life", Kevin Romine. Don't get me wrong, Kevin's a good guy, but he'll never replace my dad.

I was 17 when my father died 5 years ago. It wasn't avoidable, as it had being pouring rain all night and the roads were slick. My dad had hit a pothole, spun out of control, and crash. The police officers told us he had been dead on arrival.

But as quickly as Dad was gone, my mom moved on to Kevin.

Kevin has three kids from a previous marriage; Ruby, who was a junior in high school, Andrew, who plays for the Detroit Tigers baseball team, and Austin, who plays for the New York Yankees.

My mom, on the other hand, has only two children: me, the oldest, and my little brother, Patrick, who had been born with a condition in which his bones were more fragile than ours. Brittle bone condition, my mom would tell people who met Patrick.

Osteogenesis imperfecta, I'd correct her. I had spent a lot of my time in medical school learning more about my brother.

Patrick, who's 15, is lucky. He has a mild form of the condition, which means he can lead a normal life (but has to use a walker if he's at school, for caution). Some people diagnosed with OI aren't as lucky.

Back to today's events. As you already know-

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

God damnit. A knock on the door made me jump, and I got up to answer it.

On the other side of the door was my soon to be "father", Kevin Romine.

"Howdy, Dusty Rose." He says, calling me by my nickname.

"Don't call me that." I grit my teeth as he hugs me.

Plus, you're not from Texas. Never say "howdy" again.

"Aw, don't be silly, Dustin The Wind. Get it? Dust In The-"