10 minutes until Extermination

I wake with a start, smashing my head back into the concrete wall hard.

My eyes swim and I gingerly rub the pulsing back of my head.

I must've dozed off, thinking about that little boy.

I glance around, rubbing the wetness from my eyes.

That awful stage with those horrible chair-instruments is back, and kids are staring at in shock, mouths gaping.

It's time for the Exterminations.

Everyone is silent for a moment, taking in what the next minutes hold until a Category C boy begins to cry softly. A big boy too, maybe fifteen years old. Crying, when even the tiny ten and eleven-year-old Category A prisoners are holding it together? Many kids, including me, send looks of disgust his way but he doesn't stop, and eventually just sinks to the floor, his head resting in his palms.

The familiar seal of the Organisation appears above the stage where the chairs sit, shining in a pixelated-slightly-blurred fashion. I wonder if this is the last time I'll ever see it.

"Eight minutes until Extermination commencement", the robotic female voice announces, echoing through the Extermination Sector.

The voice does not elaborate but the seal remains, hovering above the sinister scene.

A girl, a Category B prisoner suddenly and violently loses her head completely. Squealing, shouting and cursing up at the Watchers she makes a swipe out at the nearest holographic camera. For a moment nothing seems to happen. Time seems to freeze. But then the girl falls back to the ground, screaming bloody murder.

Punishment takes only a few minutes but most kids have their hands over their ears, and eyes clenched shut. It's a disgusting sight. I shut my eyes and wait for the piercing cracks which will announce the end of the girl's Punishment and life.

It comes, as always, and I open my eyes. A boy is vomiting into a corner. The Punished girl's broken body lays near, blood still dripping from her eyes, ears, and mouth.

I wonder if that's what the girl intended, to die. To go out on her own terms, kind of. Punishment is painful, and we're told Extermination will be painless. But do we know it will be? How weak we all are; playing along to the Organisations every Rule and order just because a painless death awaits us, rather than the worst pain ever. But in the end, we're all dead. Going out by Extermination just means we live longer, but it cannot be called living, the life in this shithole.

Maybe that's the way to go then: Punishment I mean. But just as the thought enters my brain, the digitalized voice of the female announcer fills the Extermination Sector.

"1 minute and 15 seconds until Extermination-"

I have little over one minute to live. I will be dead in one minute. That's sixty seconds. Count to sixty, and I'll be dead. Sounds like a sick game.

"-. Category A prisoners line up in front of chair A. Category B prisoners line up in front of chair B. Category C prisoners line up in front of chair C. Line up in order of imprisonment codes."

No one moves. It's really happening.

But then some brave, or stupid kid makes his way over to chair C, the last chair in line. Everyone follows his lead, dragging their feet over to their chair. Or more accurately, their death.

I roll the sleeve of my prisoner clothes up. Tight fitting black pants, plain black short-sleeve shirts and long sleeve shirts over top, with the seal of the Organisation over the right breast. Made of rough material. And the boots, made of cheap, scratchy leather.

Tattooed to the inside of my left wrist in black ink is my prisoner code. Just like the microchip in my neck that inflicts Punishment, I have no idea when this was inked into my skin but the Introduction informed me of what it is; my prisoner code.

0004C

Yep, that's my only identity in this prison.

I immediately make my way over to the back of the line behind the Category C chair.

I will be the fourth last prisoner to Exterminated.

I was the fourth prisoner to arrive in this hell-hole.

I cautiously make my way over to the boy already residing at the back of the Category C line.

I try to have a peek at his prisoner code but his arms are crossed and he glares up at the chairs, taking no notice of me.

"What's your prisoner code?" he asks, not taking his eyes off the chairs. I stumble, shocked. I thought he wasn't noticing me.

Recovering, I reply in a cold tone to match his own, "0004C".

The boy smirks, still staring up at the chairs as he if he cannot force himself to look at me.

"Sorry, love." He thrusts his left arm into my face, careful to not make contact though. Contact would mean instant Punishment for the both of us.

0001C

Oh.

I walk slowly up the line, counting for my slot.

A girl with fiery red hair and freckles is in front of the boy tattooed 0001C. The girl is muttering crazily to herself. She is 0002C.

In front of the crazy girl is a buff, boy with greasy brown hair and harsh eyes that follow me as I pass. 0003C.

I slid in front of him; there was a gap already waiting.

In front of me is thin, weedy looking boy with glasses. Tears are streaming down his face as he coughs and splutters.

Hot, sticky air is breathing down my neck. The boy labeled 0003C has leaned in close and is whispering into my ear, his voice harsh and slightly raspy.

"What a fucking pussy, am I right?"

I shuffle forwards. Yuck.

Kids are crying all around me.

The time has come.

Extermination is here.