'An angel? That's insane.' Adelaide shook her head as her and Alec entered the institute side by side. 'It's impossible.'

'It's extremely rare, not impossible.'

'You know what I mean.' Adelaide shoved Alec lightly and Alec let out a chuckle at her playfulness.

'There's video footage, you wanna see?'

'Duh.'

'Morning lovebirds.'

Adelaide smiled at Isabelle who was walking towards them. 'Hey Izzy, you look better.'

'I feel better. Amazing what a decent sleep will do for you. But you wouldn't know anything about that, would you?' Isabelle smirked at the confusion on Adelaide's face as she fell into step with them. 'Let's go see this angel footage, shall we?'

Alec navigated the institutes system to find the only piece of evidence they had that Clary and Jace were telling the truth. The trio watched the short video, Alec pausing it on one frame. 'There. They said that was the angel.'

'It could have been a shooting star.' Isabelle sounded sceptical.

'What, are you saying you don't believe Jace and Clary?' Alec asked in disbelief. 'I thought you'd be impressed.'

'I'm not saying I don't believe them. It's just that no one's seen an angel in hundreds of years.' Isabelle sighed as she shut down the video. 'So, Alec. Did you take my advice?'

Adelaide didn't miss the mischievous look on Isabelle's face as she glanced at her.

'Wait, what? What advice?'

'There's nothing to talk about.' Alec shrugged but the flush on his cheeks gave him away.

'Alec-'

'Hey guys!'

Adelaide looked at the new occupant in the room and her heart gave a painful lurch. Max Lightwood had grown so much since she'd last seen him that he was almost unrecognisable to her now. Alec's face lit up immediately at his little brother's appearance, Isabelle wearing a matching smile of adoration.

'Hey buddy, how you doing?'

'Max! I missed you so much!' Isabelle crouched down to Max's height, suffocating him with a tight hug while Alec settled for squeezing his shoulder lightly. 'You look so handsome.'

Adelaide hung back from the reunion, unsure of how much Max knew about her disappearance and her return. It was hard to tell with Robert and Maryse. Though they were both very loud in their opinions, when it came to Max they sheltered him in a way that they never did for Alec and Isabelle.

'What are you doing here?' Isabelle asked her brother curiously.

Alec's whole expression changed as Maryse walked into the room. 'Alec. Isabelle. It's good to see you both.'

'Really?' Isabelle challenged.

'Izzy.' Alec warned, glancing at Adelaide briefly.

'Cause last time you were here you turned your back on all of us.' Isabelle continued as though Alec hadn't spoken. 'Especially Jace and Adelaide.'

Izzy glanced at Adelaide who was off to the side out of immediate view, causing Maryse and Max's eyes to go to her, bringing her into a conversation she'd rather stay out of.

Max stared at her, wonder in his eyes and an almost awed smile on his face until his mother's hands shifted on his shoulders and the expression disappeared as quickly as it had come.

'I was following orders. I had no choice.' Maryse reminded her children without so much as a word to Adelaide. 'Max has some big news. Tell them sweetheart.'