He placed his arm around her shoulder, steering her towards the way he wanted her to walk. At once, she could feel the gazes behind them boring a hole on the back of her head.

With his dark brown hair and occasional natural light brown highlights and mesmerizing eyes, he was really cute. Aurora had a feeling that by accepting his offer to take her to class, she had just unconsciously landed herself in unwanted attention and trouble.

Aurora settled herself down at a corner in the school canteen. For an entire morning, she had been looking out for a particular blond unsuccessfully. Taking a huge bite out of the chicken sandwich she just bought, Aurora kept her mind clear. She knew he was here. She just…knew. All she had to do was relax and simply wait for him to show himself.

Her feeling was never wrong.

“Hello, we meet again.”

Aurora spun around only to see the brunet who had taken her to class staring at her with a sort of amused expression. He plopped himself down across her.

“Hey,” she answered back. “What’s up?”

“You look distracted.”

Well, I am, Aurora thought wryly.

“I’m…looking for a friend,” Aurora replied.

“Your boyfriend?” Cade suggested nonchalantly just as Aurora choked on the sandwich she was eating. Cade laughed. “Kidding, what is he like?”

“He’s -”

Aurora stopped short, and her eyes widened. Among the crowd of people leaving the canteen, she spotted a single blond. Although she couldn’t see his entire face, she was pretty sure that it was him. Pushing her chair back, Aurora stood up hastily. She vaguely heard Cade call her name behind her as she rushed out of the canteen.

Where?

Her head snapped around, searching for a single blond.

Only if she finds him, her questions would be answered.

Why did he choose her? Why did he give her something that defies nature? Why?

Aurora broke into a run. She faintly remembered a few people giving her dirty looks as she pushed her way between the teenagers. She mumbled a few apologies and made her way forwards. She was ascending a staircase that led to the building’s roof.

“Wait!” she called out.

Gritting her teeth, she forced herself to run faster. It was just like all those years ago except for one difference. Instead of running away from something, she was running towards something.

He held the answers to all her questions, and she wasn’t planning to let the result of more than a hundred years of searching to go down the drain.

Aurora burst out into the wide ceiling-less area. She immediately spotted him. Her heart beat thumped loudly in her chest, not from running up three floors of stairs but from the excitement that was burning in her chest.

“Found you,” she declared proudly and made her way towards him. “This time, I’m not letting you run away before you answer my questions.”

Aurora grabbed his shoulder and forced him to look at her. It was the same sapphire eyes that she had lost herself in all those years back, and she could feel a strange feeling stirring within her. It was as if some unspoken emotions had just been awakened, and she was filled with a sense of unknown nostalgia.

Aurora’s head snapped up as he took a step back. She blinked twice and fought back a blush that threatened to bloom on her cheek. She couldn’t believe that she had just blatantly stared at someone. If he sensed her discomfort, he did not show it. On the contrary, he exploited it. A cocky smirk appeared on his lips.

“A picture would last longer,” he said with a smirk. “Are you enjoying my gift to you?”

Aurora’s eyes narrowed.

“As cocky as ever,” Aurora grumbled under her breath. “This is anything but a gift. I want answers. I have a right -”

Aurora glanced over her shoulder at the opened door, sensing someone coming up the stairs. He seemed to have thought about the same thing.

“It’s better if we’re not seen together.”

“Why?” Aurora asked suspiciously. “Not that I want to be seen together with you,” she added quickly, causing Adrian’s lips to twist up into an amused smirk.

A faint but high-pitched giggle sounded at a distance, and Aurora turned slightly sideways in annoyance. Human teenagers surely have become more and more…open with each passing generation.

“You somehow manage to evade all my questions, and at the same time, raise more of them. I -”

When Aurora had turned back to make sure that the blond was listening, he was already gone. Leaning over the rail, Aurora could see him landing just below the building. He titled his head up and smirked at Aurora.

Aurora clenched her fist around the rail.

He got away…again.