Chapter 8 - Rogues

Start from the beginning

"You! Freeze!" a deep voice yelled from behind me. I did just as he said.

"Hands higher, where I can see them," he demanded.

I shot my hands up higher in the air, not really scared or offended by the request. Rogues had to be careful who they trusted. Regardless, I trembled from the uncertainty of who was speaking to me.

After a moment of silence, a large, muscular arm wrapped itself around my neck, resulting in a panicked yelp to escape me. Shit! This was certainly not the welcome I'd been expecting. The arm was constricting, yet it didn't hurt. Why would a man try to restrain me so...gently?

Just as that thought ran through my mind, the man's other arm swung around to the top of my head and ruffled my hair with his knuckles. I grunted, and received a chuckle as a result. The large arms spun me around to finally face my captor.

Rhett.

He stood there with a large, goofy grin on his face, obviously proud of himself for causing me some momentary confusion.

"Lena! Welcome back stranger," he finally greeted.

"Is this how you welcome everyone now days?" I scowled.

"Only those who dare to avoid us for years," he retorted with a smug grin.

I rolled my eyes at his exaggeration, "It's been three months Rhett, although a shit ton has happened."

He locked my arm in his and led me towards the center of the clearing – their home. Several men and women waved to me, and although I couldn't think of their names, the faces were familiar. I waved back as we approached the fire pit.

"What's been so exciting that you can't come pay a visit?" Rhett teased.

"Well," I started, hesitant to explain myself. Rhett had been a dear friend for years, but a commonality we always shared was being mate-less. Until now.

"I...I found my mate," I said quietly, fiddling with my thumbs. Although I wasn't a nervous person, he was the first person I'd had the chance to share this information with.

"No way!" he shouted excitedly. "Well, where is he? How'd you meet him?"

I chuckled at his eager questions. He was thinking my mate was a rogue as well. I didn't blame him, it was a logical assumption.

"He's...at home, tending to important business."

Rhett cocked an eyebrow, now fully sensing my hesitation, "Home? Care to explain further?"

"Alpha Elijah is my mate."

Rhett's eyes widened, and he stumbled back for dramatic effect. I chuckled at him and shook my head, although I knew part of his shock was genuine. I never would've expected this new life for myself either.

"Holy shit. Your mate is an Alpha? You hate Alphas. Hell, you hate men...except for me," he smirked.

"Trust me, it's been one hell of an adjustment, but he's a good man," I assured him.

Rhett nodded as he turned some skewers over the fire. They must've been preparing lunch. When I was around, roasted squirrel was their specialty.

"If that's the case, then what brings you here?" he asked.

"Elijah and I have been looking into my past, and we're making really great progress. I started having terrifying nightmares, which led to questions. Elijah set up a meeting with Alpha Dean from Dark Root, and his father, and we discovered that I...I had been kidnapped and held prisoner in Dark Root for years. They took me because I apparently have some abilities I'm unaware of, so I came to meet with Sofia. I wanted to see if she could help," I explained. I felt like I was rambling.

Rhett didn't speak for a moment as he took in my words. Then, another smirk appeared on his face, making his bright blue eyes sparkle. His eyes were much more vibrant than mine. I'd always believed he wasn't originally from this area, but Rhett didn't like to talk about his past.

"Well let's go find the witch then!" he joked, grabbing my arm and pulling me towards a small house painted gray and decorated with various beads and plants. It was a unique little abode that I distinctly remembered belonged to Sofia.

As we entered the house, my senses were consumed by the strong aroma of her soup that I'd recognized at least half a mile back. Sofia was standing at her stove, stirring her famous soup when we approached her. She spun around, smiling enthusiastically when she saw us. Her black hair and tan skin deeply contrasted with her pale violet eyes that lit up in our presence. She was a beautiful woman, inside and out.

"Lena! You found him!" She shrieked, her subtle accent slipping through a little more than usual.

I gave her a confused look, but quickly remembered her strong intuition. She had probably known I'd find my mate days or weeks before it ever happened. Sofia grabbed me into a tight hug before pulling me back to examine me.

"You look so good! The mate bond and proper meals are doing you well," she said.

I rolled my eyes and shook my head at her. Typical Sofia.

"I'm sure you already know why I'm here, but I need your help. I've been told by the Alpha of Dark Root that I'm a Healer...that I have abilities I've never been aware of. You're the only one who could help me access these skills. Normally I wouldn't care, but you know I've always had an interest in helping the sick and injured. As a Luna, this could really be beneficial now," I explained to her.

"A Luna! Oh my, I knew I sensed you had a powerful mate! Yes, of course I'll help, however, I'm sure your mate wants you back, so how shall we arrange this?" she asked sweetly as she poured herself a bowl of soup and took a seat at her small dining room table.

"Well," I stated, unsure of how either of them would respond to my offer. "Elijah has offered to let you stay in the pack house. You could just stay for a few days at a time. Whatever you're comfortable with."

Rhett didn't look happy. Sofia and I were the main two in his group with any medical knowledge or capabilities. When I wasn't around, things were hard enough on the group. If Sofia was gone for days at a time, it really put them at risk.

Sofia, completely ignoring Rhett's displeasure, smiled widely at me once again, "Of course Lena! I'd love to come help! We've been training a few others in the group to work in the medical station, so me being gone for a few days at a time should be fine!"

Rhett rolled his eyes and released a frustrated sigh, "We've been working on other things, too, Sofia," he growled lowly.

"Don't be a dick Rhett," I replied, narrowing my eyes at him. "What could be so important that you'd go from care-free to major asshole in a matter of seconds?"

Rhett sighed and shook his head, rubbing at his eyes.

"We found my mate too."

Sorry it's been a little longer than usual! I've been sick, which has caused my motivation for pretty much everything to plummet. So what do ya'll think?? For those of you who are reading Luna Hana as well, how do you feel about the connections I'm making? Please continue to vote, comment, and tell your friends! ;)