Chapter 8 - Rogues

Start from the beginning

"I just don't understand why a witch would be running with a pack of rogues, or better yet, why rogues would need a witch," Elijah mumbled as he stuffed a crescent roll in his mouth.

I sighed and tried to reign in my annoyance. To be honest, his questions and uncertainty were beginning to get on my damn nerves. I took a deep breath and reminded myself that if he were any other Alpha male, he likely wouldn't even allow me to make this trip alone, or even at all, "I don't know all of the details, but I've known them for years and they've always been trustworthy individuals."

Elijah forced a smile and nodded, sensing my irritation, "Well, I guess you're going to need to get going."

I nodded back as I stuffed my last sausage in my mouth, finally clearing my plate, "It should only take me a couple of hours to get to them. They tend to stay close to Polar Moon, but the sooner I get back, the better."

"My thoughts exactly," Elijah said as he stood from his chair and carried the plates over to the sink.

I stood and followed him, planning to give him a sweet, loving kiss before I departed. Before I could make my move, Elijah spun around and wrapped his arms tightly around my waist, pulling me flush against his chest. He then brought one hand up to cup my chin and tilted my face up so that our eyes locked. I smiled as I stared into his happy, golden eyes. He then leaned in a placed a firm kiss on my lips, causing my wolf to purr in my head.

I grabbed his head, intertwining my fingers in his short, rusty hair as I pressed my lips harder against his. I savored the feeling of the sparks that danced along my face from our contact, and moved my lips eagerly with his. It was easily the most passionate kiss we'd had so far.

Our mate bond held us together in that kiss for several minutes before we finally pulled apart. I smiled at him once more and gave him another quick peck before making my way towards the exit of our wing.

"Be safe, I'll see you tonight," I heard him call behind me.

I ran outside towards the woods, wanting to move as quickly as possible. I found a large tree right before the pack's border and stepped behind it to change out of my clothes, rolling them into a fanny-pack like bag that I could easily wear around my neck in my wolf form.

I then shifted, allowing my wolf to take over for the first time in weeks. I welcomed the sound of cracking bones as my body morphed into hers, and was fully grateful to have fur sheltering my body. The mere minute I had spent naked outdoors was enough to chill me to the bone. This snow-covered land held no sympathy.

We had been running for two hours using nothing but our keen senses and memory to find Rhett's pack. I came to a halt as an odd scent filled my nostrils. It was warm with a spicy edge to it.

Sofia.

When I ran with Rhett's group, Sofia would often make a special soup for everyone at dinner time. It was unique and I hadn't a clue what was in it to this very day, but the scent was strong. I'd recognize it anywhere.

I took this as an opportunity to shift back to my human form and re-dress myself before getting too close to their camp. Although I really had no shame when it came to my naked body, I still didn't care for being seen nude by random people.

I slowly made my way through the remainder of the snow-covered trees until I came to a clearing filled with small wooden houses, several market-like stands, and multiple fire pits. Most of the men were already out and about, tending to the fire, sharpening their tools and weapons, and making sure the perimeter was secured.

No one had seen me yet, so I cautiously stepped through the snow, very conscious of the crunch beneath my shoes. I held my hands up in surrender just in case someone didn't recognize me. It had been months since I'd visited this group of rogues. I'd been on my own for at least a month before Elijah found me.