Chapter 8

"Morning guys."

Lachlan groaned and rubbed his face with his hand. "What the hell do you want Jerome?" he asked, his voice groggy with sleep.

"Just wondering why you're sleeping in Vik's bed."

"Huh?" Lachlan asked, attempting to sit up, only to find Vik cuddled on his chest, still deep in the throes of sleep.

"Thought I'd wake you up before Mitch arrived," Jerome added.

"Forgot I spent the night here," Lachlan muttered, half to himself, half to Jerome.

"Mitch is going to be here in five minutes Lachlan," Jerome warned.

"Shit! Right, um okay," Lachlan thought quickly. "I was never here Jerome, okay?"

"Who was never here?" Jerome asked, a frown creasing his forehead.

"Thanks Jerome." Lachlan sat up, only to find Vik clutching him tighter. "A little help please?" he grumbled.

Jerome laughed, and gently removed Vik's hands from Lachlan's shirt. Vik mumbled words under his breath as Jerome lifted Vik up enough so that Lachlan could wiggle out from underneath the smaller boy.

"Thanks," Lachlan said once he was finally free.

"Just get the hell out of here Lachlan." Lachlan nodded and turned to leave. "And Lachlan," Jerome called. "Whatever you do, don't get caught. By anyone."

Lachlan met Jerome's gaze and nodded once, before disappearing through the back door.

<>

"What's going on between you and Lachlan?"

Vik stayed still, listening to the conversation between Mitch and Jerome. Lachlan was gone, he had disappeared. Did he leave me? Did he regret his decision? Vik wondered.

"Nothing." That was definitely Mitch. The defensive tone fit him perfectly.

"Really?" And there was Jerome with his perfect touch of sarcasm.

"Yes really," Mitch grumped. Vik snorted, but softly as to not attract their attention.

"Why are you lying to me Mitch? What the hell did you say to Lachlan?" Jerome tried again.

"Nothing!" And Mitch continued with his charade of lies. Vik rolled his eyes. Mitch couldn't lie if his life was on the line.

"Mitch. I know something happened. So either you can tell me, or Lachlan will. And I know it had something to do with Vik, so don't even try to lie to me about that," Jerome warned, sparing a glance towards Vik's sleeping figure.

"Why does it matter?" Mitch asked.

Finally! Vik thought to himself. Maybe now he'll find out why Lachlan was acting so weird.

"Because it's bothering Lachlan," was Jerome's simple answer.

Mitch groaned. "I told him he couldn't fall in love with Vik. Happy now?"

Jerome sighed and raised his eyes skywards. "Why the hell would you tell him that?" he muttered.

"Because Vik's-" Mitch started shouting, but at Jerome's glare, he quieted down, realizing Vik was sleeping. "Because Vik's healed, he's going to head back to the Sidemen any day now and Lachlan will be left behind, brokenhearted. Because we both know that as soon as Olajide offers, Vik is going to jump at the chance to be his fuckboy."

"And how do you know this?" Jerome argued.

"Look at him! The kid got the shit beaten out of him, and he didn't even raise a fucking finger! He's not going to survive as a gang member, the only way he'll survive is by being JJ's boy toy again!" Mitch exclaimed. "And screw me if I don't want to have to comfort Lachlan if he gets himself in too deep."