Chapter 18: I Never Did

Chapter Eighteen - I Never Did

Sabrina stared at Khalid. Did he just say thank you to me? She thought. She was sure her mouth was hanging open. She never would have guessed that Khalid would be standing in front of her without a snarl pasted on his face. Time had certainly changed him. Up close he looked even more breath taking than he usually did. She blinked before she got too lost in his unusually soft eyes.

"Are you...high?" She asked, more jokingly then serious.

"What? No." He said, and then blinked. "I mean I dont think I...I mean no!"

Sabrina laughed and watched as his face softened. He gave a sheepish grin. She marvelled at how they were facing each other and not spitting venom at each other's faces. Suddenly, she stopped as she realized where they were. They were in a hospital, for Allah's sake. Why am I laughing? Khalid's mother might be fighting for her life and I'm laughing? A question popped into her mind, one she didn't know why she didn't ask earlier.

"What happened to your mom?" She asked before she considered how personal it was.

Khalid's face went blank and he turned away, his eyes scanning the walls, the tiles on the floor. Anything but her face. It was like he suddenly didn't want to look at her anymore. Sabrina felt her heart drop but she wasn't sure weather it was because of his reaction or because of the absence of his gaze. She felt guilty for both.

"She...was shot." He mumbled. "She's losing alot of blood and neither me or my dad have the same blood type. It was a freaking miracle that you happened to come along..."

Sabrina's blood went cold. Shot? She couldn't believe it. Who would do such a thing? But then her initial theory of Khalid's gang came to mind. What if they did this? But why would they target his mother? 

"Do you know who..." She asked slowly, afraid he might burst.

But Khalid just shook his head. Either he didn't know or he didn't want to say. Sabrina caught a flash of guilt in his eyes and she wondered how it would feel like if your mistakes and choices cost you your mother's life. 

"Insha'Allah, she'll get better." She whispered, encouragingly.

Khalid looked up, and his face changed. He stared at her, as if he was caught between screaming and thanking her. He was so...uncertain.

"Why?" He croaked. "All this time you hate on us and then you go and...and save my mom's life? What is up with you?"

"You know I never hated you or all Arabs, Khalid." Sabrina said, staring back at him.

Sabrina wanted him to see the honesty in her eyes. Look at me, she thought silently to him. I'm earnest. I'm sincere. I'm truthful. And I never hated you, ever. He gazed at her, silently. His eyes looked confused as if he wanted to accept what she said but something held him back. Finally he sighed, giving up.

"Then why did you insult us all those years ago?" He asked, his eyes blank. He knew the answer. He knew. But maybe he just wanted to hear her say it. So she did.

"I was angry." She said, quietly. "I didn't mean it. And I'm sorry for that. I'm sorry for hurting you and creating all this hate between us."

They stared at each other. Finally Khalid chuckled, dryly, his eyes glassy.

"If anyone should be saying sorry - it should be me." He said, his voice flat. "I'm the one who believed all the crap that Leena told me. I'm the one who over reacted. So yeah...I'm sorry."