Chapter 13: Deep Down Inside

Chapter Thirteen - Deep Down Inside

"Oh Lord." Leila groaned. "My mom is so mad at me."

She had just spent the last ten minutes explaining last night's events to a wide eyed Emaan while Sabrina listened, shaking her head and trying not to think about how annoying life was without her phone. At Leila's statement, Sabrina looked up and sighed.

"Yeah, mine was - well is - too." Sabrina said, sadly. 

Sabrina and her mother had a strong, loving relationship and so, fights or arguments were rare incidents. When they did happen, Sabrina tended to feel guilty until her mom forgave her. She hadn't yet, so Sabrina kept a low profile as she scurried around the house this morning, trying not to do anything that may give her mom a reason to explode.

"How did your mom find out?" Emaan asked Leila.

"Oh." Leila mumbled. "Sabrina's mom called and she well...yeah told her everything. She made sure my mom knew it was all an accident but my mom still freaked."

"Oh...so that's why my mom was having a very obvious, not-so-discreet conversation on the phone last night." Sabrina mused.

"Yeah...can't blame her. I deserved it." Leila said quietly.

The three girls stood there awkwardly, waiting for the bell to ring. It was Friday morning and students were chattering away happily, discussing plans for the weekend. Sabrina felt a pang of envy crawl up her spine as she listened to a group of girls who were planning a road trip. Their moms are probably happy with them to allow them to go on a trip, she thought and then sighed.

"You know what?" Sabrina said, standing up. "I deny any further sulking over the matter. We cant possibly wallow in our misery all day, just because our moms are mad at us. They'll come around, in'sha'Allah."

Leila nodded and took a breath, while Emaan gave her a brilliant smile.

"And when they do, tell me cause my mom wants to invite you all over for dinner." She stated.

"Really?" Leila asked, momentarily rising out of her anxiety. "When?"

"Well, I wanted it this weekend." She said slowly. "But if your moms aren't in a good mood then how about next weekend?"

"That's perfect." Sabrina smiled. "My mom will be back to her old self by then."

"Can't say the same about mine, though." Leila muttered but tried for a smile. "But we'll see."

"Okay." Emaan said, "well my mom'll call you and give the official invite."

Sabrina smiled at that. She never had many Arab friends and they certainly never invited her over to dinner before. She marveled at how on one side, one of her best friends was Arab and on the other, she was considered an Arab-hater and had the the whole school's Arabs - minus one - seething behind her back because of it.

Ah, the irony, she thought as the bell finally rang and the school day commenced.

* * * 

Sabrina had to go to the bathroom really badly.

She excused herself from class, asking permission first, and hurried down the halls while her bladder felt like it would burst. She was washing her hands and just about to exit the bathroom when she heard two angry muffled voices. She froze, recognizing them both and almost absentmindedly inched closer to make out what they were arguing about.

"...was drunk!" Leena exclaimed. "I didn't know what I was saying!"

"Yeah right." Khalid snorted. "Drunk people are pretty honest, you know."