The Confession

Elena emerged from a room in the corridor behind the heavy swing doors with many bandages on her nose.

"Can we go now?" she asked impatiently.

"Er... Sure." Stefan replied, cutting her some slack because of her injury.

"Finally!"

Elena strutted away towards the parking lot. Stefan stood there for a second, gritting his teeth, but he pushed aside the anger, and instead thought of Damon. His beloved Damon...

**********

Damon stopped his pacing suddenly, which caused Caroline to look up in surprise.

"What is it?" she asked.

"A text. From Stefan!"

"Ok. What does it say?"

"'Be back soon'? What's that supposed to mean?"

"Well, it could have been worse." Caroline sighed contentedly as she stretched out on the couch.

"Stefan's so cryptic sometimes.... How am supposed to know what that means? And what on earth am I supposed to reply?!"

"God, Damon, stop acting like a teenage girl! Pull yourself together. All it means is that Stefan will be back soon and then you two can sort this out, and you," she said, pointing a finger accusingly at Damon. "Can stop bugging me!!!!"

Damon resumed his pacing.

**********

Elena sat in the passenger seat making helpful comments, such as:

"You have CDs in here? How old are you, like 167?"

"Your car seats aren't heated. They suck."

"Can readjust the car mirrors? I need more than one mirror to check my hair in."

Stefan inhaled and exhaled loudly in an effort to restrain himself from redoing the damage the doctors had just repaired.

"You and Damon always breathe really loudly. I told Caroline that once and she said that you guys only do that when I'm around. Which makes me, like, special. I mean, I always knew I was special, but before when I told people I was they always raised their eyebrows at me. Now I have proof."

Stefan made a vague noise of agreement in response to Elena's expectant look. She took that as a signal to keep talking. Stefan groaned internally.

"Are we nearly there yet?" Elena didn't pause long enough for Stefan to reply. "Where are we? I don't recognise this place. Where are you taking me? Oh wait, I know that fire hydrant. Ok. It's fine. You can calm down: we're not lost. Don't worry. I found out where we are. You don't have to thank me."

Stefan kept his eyes straight ahead and his face expressionless. Elena kept moving her head around in an effort to catch his eye, but he was stubborn, and she soon gave up with an exclamation of annoyance.

"I'm bored." she said.

"Here." Stefan tossed her a puzzle toy he had in his pocket. She struggled with it for a few minutes, her tongue stuck out to show her intense concentration, making alternate sounds of triumph and defeat.

Stefan tuned her out and instead tried to plan his conversation with Damon.

An annoying sound brought him out of his revery. Oh. It was Elena. He might have guessed.

"This toy is stupid. I can't do it. I think it's broken."

Stefan cleared his throat awkwardly.

"I think I've got another one somewhere in here." he said, rummaging around in his pockets. Anyone who had to spend more than a few seconds around Elena knew that it was vital to have at least two puzzle toys with you at all times.

"Oh! We're back!" Elena shouted, opening the car door and scrambling put, leaving the two uncompleted puzzles behind her on the seat. Stefan growled, but picked them up nonetheless and followed her to the house where Damon was waiting for him.

******

"How was it?" Damon asked Stefan as they sat on the couch after Caroline had taken Elena to get some food (because she wouldn't shut up).

"You know, Elena acted like a child, nothing new."

"Oh. Right."

There was along, awkward pause. Damon shifted his position so that his knees were touching Stefan's.

"Stefan."

Stefan turned his head and saw Damon looking intently at him.

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry."

"Ok. I forgive you."

Damon's eyes widened.

"What?"

"I forgive you."

"Well, that was easy..." Damon muttered, slightly confused.

"Yeah. I wasn't all that angry that you broke Elena's nose. I was more frustrated about us. I mean, what are we? You told Caroline we're together, but what does that mean? Are you in this for the long run, or is this just a fling? Because if this is just a fling then tell me now before I get even more emotionally involved."

Damon grabbed Stefan's wildly gesticulating hands and held them to his (no longer beating) heart.

"Stefan, I'm in this for as long as you want me to be." He covered Stefan's hands with his own. "This," he said, lifting their hands off his heart and gently thumping then down. "Belongs to you."