"Elena doesn't have to know"

It was a dark and gloomy afternoon when Damon found Stefan in the sitting room, brooding.

"Sup bro?" Damon casually asked. 

Stefan continued to ignore him while staring into the distance. Damon rolled his eyes and gave a deep sigh.

"You're not still mad about Elena, are you?"

Stefan gave Damon a steely glare.

"What do you think?" Stefan violently retorted.

"Look bro, I know that you think you deserve Elena more than me, but look at the big picture. It was never going to last. It's not like you were going to turn her or anyth-"

"Shut up, Damon! Just shut up!" Stefan took a deep breath and ran his fingers through his smooth, ebony hair. "I don't need this aggravation from you right now, Damon." Stefan said, his eyes glinting in the golden, dusty glow of the room.

"Bro, I did it for you!" Damon exclaimed. "Because I l-"

"For me?!" Stefan shouted, enraged. "You stole my girlfriend, the love of my life, to help me? Even with a twisted mind like yours how does that make sense?"

Damon stumbled back as if he had been shot, hurt flaring up in his eyes. He turned away, hiding his tears; but Stefan could see his shoulders gently shaking.

"Damon, I didn't mean... Don't take it so hard..." Stefan forced out, not knowing how to comfort his distraught brother.

There was a pregnant silence, filled with sexual tension.

"I'm not... I don't know what you're talking about... I'm fine..." Damon squeaked, his voice strangled by his tears and emotions. He turned around, his eyes slightly red and swollen. Stefan's heart ached for causing his brother so much pain. He regretted every word, and wished he could take them back. There was another silence, but this time it was awkward and not sexual.

"Do you want to watch some sport?" asked Stefan, hopefully.

"Whatever you want, bro." said Damon.

***********************

Soon enough the two brothers were sitting on the couch. Stefan stared blankly at the flat-screen. For some reason he felt awkward. 

Damon had now become his usual cocky self,but Stefan couldn't get the image of how vulnerable Damon had looked out of his mind. Stefan had felt an irresistable urge to protect him. Stefan thought for a second before enveloping Damon in a hesitant embrace. Damon went stiff, and for a moment Stefan pulled back before Damon looped his arms around his neck and put his head on his shoulder.

"How long has it been since we came into physical contact, apart from fighting?" murmured Stefan. Damon's arms tightened around Stefan's body.

"One hundred and sixteen years, twenty seven days." replied Damon softly.