Family Values

Days passed and soon the brothers' awkward encounter was forgotten. Well, almost. Stefan did not know how much he yearned for Damon's gentle sensuous touch until they shared that brief embrace. Stefan thought about Damon's sharp musky scent and the sting of his cool skin day and night. Oh, how Stefan wished to be back in those strong, muscular arms again. And soon enough, his wish came true.

Stefan Salvatore had come down with rare blood poisoning. He was incredibly sick as well as even more fragile and weak than usual. One lonely evening, Stefan had decided to just rest and stay in bed all by himself. That is, until Damon peeked his (gorgeous) head through the door.

Stefan crossed his arms and gave Damon a stern glare but all the older brother did was casually smirk back. A low, dark chuckle began to fill the room.

"It's not funny." Stefan murmured while trying to avoid Damon's piercing gaze.

"No, of course not." Damon replied.

Stefan couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic or not.

"So..." Damon began, "I brought you one of your lame blood bags or whatever. See, this is why I drink fresh blood straight from the hu-"

"Damon, why are you here?"

"What do you mean? I live here."

"I mean, since when do you care?!"

Damon breathed a long, mournful sigh.

"I'm outta here." He said as he began to walk out of the door.

"No!" Stefan yelped and slowly raised his hand. "Stay... Please."

Stefan sank back weakly in bed, exhausted by the effort. His eyes closed against his will so he didn't know whether or not Damon had listened to his plea.

He struggled to sit up, but a smooth, strong hand held him down.

"Shh, don't try to move." Damon whispered gently.

Stefan's eyes opened, and they were filled with joy as he smiled softly at his brother.

"You stayed!" he whisper-shouted happily.

Damon looked at him in shock. "Of course I stayed! I will never leave you..."

"But what if you get bored of me?" Stefan asked worriedly.

Damon's eyes burned brightly with anger. "Get bored of you?" he whispered dangerously, his voice getting louder with every word. "Get bored of you?! How could you even ask that, Stefan?"

Stefan retched. and instantly Damon's eyes softened as he grabbed the bucket from the floor and held it under his mouth.

"You okay?" He asked, gently rubbing circles on his brother's back.

"Yeah, I'm fine, I'm fine." croaked Stefan. Damon looked at him with a 'Yeah, right' face.

"Bro, you look like shit." Damon said, truthfully.

"Thanks."

"But you still look hot." said Damon, jokingly.

There was a long pause while Stefan looked up at Damon, surprised.

"Ha, that was a joke, right?"

"Um... Yeah, ha ha, sure, of course, I mean... Yeah."

"Oh... Good." There was another really awkward silence in which the brothers looked away from each other.

"I've... er... I've got some er.... stuff to do? So... I'm... going to go... do some stuff..." Damon said, scratching the back of his neck and gesturing somewhere behind him.

"Ok... Bye..." whispered Stefan sadly.

"I'll see you later, bro." said Damon, waving as he stumbled backwards out of the door.

********

Stefan stared at the empty, off-white wall opposite him for a long time. Then he dragged himself out of bed and wobbled over to the dresser. Pulling open the bottom drawer he retrieved a leather bound book with weak hands. He stood up, swaying as nausea hit him like a wave. Opening the book, he retrieved a pen from the side table and began to feverishly scribble words down. Throwing down his diary and pen as another bout of nausea hit him, Stefan scrambled for the bathroom.

Hearing retching sounds from above, Damon rose from the couch and flitted upstairs. Finding the room empty, Damon stood there for a second, but as he turned to leave he noticed Stefan's diary. Without a second thought, Damon snatched the diary up and flitted away.

Stefan returned to his bed staggering. He collapsed onto the mattress with a moan of pain. Rolling onto his side, he felt for his diary. Finding nothing but empty sheets, Stefan bolted upright, but immediately sank back onto the pillows as waves of sickness washed over him. He shut his eyes and lay immobile on the bed. He would look for the diary later...

******

Meanwhile, Damon was stretched out on the couch. With a smirk, he flipped through the diary, inhaling Stefan's faint scent. He traced the words with his thumb, staring at the slanted handwriting. Then he flicked through the diary to the most recent entry. His eyes widened in genuine shock.

'I have a confession...'

"Well, well, well, looks like my brother has a naughty little secret..." Damon murmured.