Searching for the Light - Chapter 11

Start from the beginning

"Alec, you're drunk, maybe you should lay of the cans" I giggled. Alec spun me around in his arms and smiled at me.  

"Drunk, who's drunk?" he paused, looking around, "I don't see any drunken people here" he took a step back but nearly fell over, I managed to keep him balanced.  

"Get your hands of my girlfriend" Carter hissed from behind me. I quickly turned around and squirmed out of Alec's hands.  

"He's drunk, Carter. He doesn't have a clue what he's doing" I giggled.

"Hey! I've told you once and I'm not telling you again, I'm not-" Alec didn't have time to finish, he stumbled back and fell to the floor. I couldn't help it, I burst out laughing before turning to Carter once again, I smiled.

"Yeah, you're right. Want to dance?" he asked me. I left Alec to himself while I was whisked away by the hands of Carter, pulling me into a room jam packed full of people. Uh-oh, I don't know how to dance? I've never even been to a party. Before I could even contemplate what I was going to do, Alec pulled my arms up and around his neck and put his on my hips, bringing me closer to him. I quickly looked around to see what everyone else was doing, resting on a female swaying her hips to a beat of her own - obviously drunk; I laughed but cautiously began swaying mine with the beat of music.

Carter looked deeply at me and began swaying with me, smirking. His gaze went lower, to my hips and started to massage them with his thumb. Slowly his right hand moved its way to my waist and held it there, still rubbing his thumb in a rhythm of it's own. He slowly bent down, hovering his lips over my neck and I could feel the warmth of his breath, slowly getting raspy. His right hand moved again, this time to the lower of my back and finally his lips slowly came in contact with my neck. I closed my eyes in ecstasy as goosebumps formed all over my body.

"Foods ready!" We were both interrupted by Richard shouting.

Carter let out a breath and pecked my lips before I opened my eyes. Pulling us apart, he clasped our hands together and whispered in my ear, "Don't get carried away Maria, we are in public".  

I was shocked, so shocked I couldn't speak. I felt like I'd just melted in his arms. It was difficult to cast that moment aside as we made our way out into the garden.

Everyone was sat around a table as we walked outside. I was thankful Carter put an arm around my waist otherwise I think my legs would have turned to jelly. We sat down when Tami came over,

"Hey" she said to both of us, "Damien here," she pointed to a guy standing next to her. I noticed him to be one of Alec's friends, she carried on, "is going to take me home, I hope you don't mind". 

I laughed, god knows what she was getting in to, she didn't seem to be too drunk, just a bit tipsy. I on the other hand hadn't had a any alcohol, what-so-ever.  

"Only if you're sure" I responded, she just nodded and pulled Damien back through the house.

Half an hour later, we were listening to Richard's lame excuse for jokes when Alec came out of the house, he grabbed my hand and pulled me up off of Carter and started dancing with me. What was he going to do now? I tried to get free of him but he was too strong. 

I laughed anyway, "Alec you're drunk, sit down and drink some water" my back was turned and he had wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me closer to him, he began to sway even though there was no music within ear's reach.  

"Alec" I warned, still laughing. 

"Hey everyone, who thinks I'm a better dancer than Carter? I do" he slurred.  

Just as I was about to say something else, he was pulled off me by Carter who had taken a swing at him.  

"Carter!" I exclaimed, rushing over to him. Alec had now passed out on the floor, not because of the blow, probably due to excessive intake of alcohol; Carter hadn't hit him hard but you could tell he wanted to. Richard just shook his head and carried Alec in muttering, "He always gets himself into situations like this".

Carter didn't even look at me, just pulled me in through the house and back out, towards his car, "I'll take you home". I wasn't planning on arguing with him, he was pretty peeved, I just wanted to talk.  

"You didn't have to do that" I said as he got in the car and started it up, "he was totally wasted and was just messing around".  

"And what? You expect me to just watch while he handles you like that? You're my girlfriend, Marianne. Mine" he hissed, putting emphasise on the 'my' again. I just sighed then sat back while he drove off. 

"I'm sorry" Carter said, pulling up to my house and turning of his engine. 

"Don't worry about it" I said taking off my seatbelt. 

He leaned closer to me, probably for a goodnight kiss, but I got out the car and headed inside before he managed to hypnotise me with those eyes again.