Searching for the Light - Chapter 8

Chapter 8.

I watched as Carter's car sped down the almost deserted suburban street; watching until his tail lights disappeared from my sight till I went inside.

I only just got through the door when Caroline rushed to me, "Marianne! Dear god Marianne! Never scare me like that again" A little over the top, don't you think? 

"I'm fine Caroline, you shouldn't have worried" I reassured her.  

"Oh honey" she said, pulling me into an embrace, "Would you like a cup of coffee to warm you up? Its looks freezing outside" 

I pulled back slightly from her arms, "No I'm alright Caroline, I'm going to go speak to Mathieu and then get ready for bed"  

"He's already fast asleep. Just talk to him in the morning, you know how he gets"  

"Okay" I smiled and gave her a kiss on the cheek before going upstairs.  

"Goodnight!" she called.

Heading straight for the bathroom for a long bubble bath, I quickly grabbed a towel and some woolly pyjamas then started running the bath, my phone vibrated.

'New Message from Carter'.  

"So, what time should I pick you up tomorrow?" That was strange, since I had only just said goodbye to him. 

"Whatever time suits you and by the way, I just thought I'd let you know, you're not supposed to be texting while driving, it lowers your concentration. Tssk" I texted back.

I stripped my body of clothes and got into the soothing bath, letting the warmth cascade over my body. I sighed.  

When I was finished I hopped out, towel dried my hair, got dressed in my pyjamas and checked my phone. I wasn't surprised to see a new message off Carter. "Don't worry darling, I stopped at a red light just like I am now. Is 2:30 good for you?".

I texted back saying that was fine and then plodded my way to my room. Everything was where it should be, including my piano, untouched. Slowly, I walked over, sitting down on the stool. Without thinking I began lightly tracing the keys and ever so slightly, I pressed down; the sound echoing all around me, a peaceful melody. Pressing down harder now, my fingers danced over the white keys setting the silence alight, my eyes instinctively closed and I imagined the same meadow Caroline had painted. I imagined a family; a father stood behind his wife holding her waist while they both laughed at their beautiful boy and girl run around, chasing after each other.

I didn't even notice Mathieu come into the room until I felt a pair of strong arms wrap tightly around me. My hands abruptly stopped and covered my face. Letting out a breath I didn't know I had been holding, I let out a sob. I tried to stop, I really did, but the tears just kept flowing and flowing.

Mathieu had been whispering in my ear that everything was going to be alright and that he'd take care of me now; it didn't help, just made me sob harder. He sat on the stool next to me and I gripped tightly at his shirt, afraid to let go, while he held me in an embrace, drawing patterns on my back with his hands.