Searching for the Light - Chapter 3

Chapter 3.

You know, when I first moved to San Francisco, I had promised myself that I would change; change everything about me, the way I walk and talk and several other things but from the moment Mathieu dropped me off, I knew it was impossible.

I was really starting to get pissed off with Alec, who the hell does he think he is? Stupid jerk. The guy on my right had noticed that we had joined them and now asked, "So Alec, who's the chick?" I'm not a 'chick' dickhead. Y'know I never mentioned before but I have a language issue, I mean I can speak fluent English and everything, I just seem to curse a hell of a lot; but only in my head. I frowned.

"This" he paused to gesture towards me, "is Marianne, she's new. Marianne, this is Duke and Richard" motioning to my left. Duke and Johnny I observed as brothers, twins in fact but Duke had dyed blonde hair and Johnny, a chestnut brown. They both had very toned muscles like Alec and both had the same cocky attitude too. Another dozen people where at the table, some sitting on it, girls sitting on guys' laps, it made me really uncomfortable. Alec's chiselled jaw broke my thoughts, he leaned his head next to my ear and whispered, "Not going to say hello, Maria?".

I gulped. "Um, Hi" I just about got out before bowing my head to play with the hem of my skirt. The guy who had taken my lunch had now passed it to me while doing it he introduced himself as Jerry and asked to shake my hand, he seemed quite friendly so I smiled and shook it. Jerry was just like my brother, he towered over me - well, everyone did really but that isn't the point; he had the most prettiest eyes I had ever seen, they were ocean blue with a glossy coat over the top, I could get lost in them. Alec told Duke to budge up so he could sit next to me, he just stared at me while I was eating, it was really creepy. Lunch went by faster than I expected thankfully, I ate slow so I didn't have to talk to Alec much. The bell rang signalling music class, Jerry had the same class so he asked if he could walk with me, I happily said yes but it was hard to get rid of Alec, I just said I would see him later, I doubt that.

Before I made it into the music classroom, my phone vibrated in my pocket, it was Mathieu. I told Jerry to meet me in there because I had to take the call. Before I had the chance to say hello, Mathieu was going on about Caroline, how she was nagging him to ask me what I wanted to eat for my dinner. Caroline is too kind, she always asks me what I want, never my brother and always makes sure that I always have a drink with me, she is very polite; I wish I could say the same for myself but I'm just too quiet.

"Euh, ce que vous voulez Mathieu" 

"Say that again in English, please?" We both laughed, I keep forgetting he doesn't speak French.  

"Sorry, I said, anything you want"  

"I don't think Caroline will be happy with that answer so if I say pizza, will you eat that?" I nodded my head but forgot he couldn't see me, I'm stupid.  

"Yeah, I like pizza"  

"Okay, well remember I'm picking you up where I dropped you off, see you later kid"  

"Later" I said then shut my phone and put it back in my bag.

When I entered the music room, Jerry motioned for me to come over, he had sat on a table of six at the back with a girl I recognised from dinner, she smiled when she saw me. I slowly made my way over and sat opposite the girl and next to Jerry. She giggled and said hi to me saying her name was Tamantha but to call her Tami. Tami had beautiful long blonde hair that I was immensely jealous of, she was short and average weight but she had the most cutest cheeks ever; a chubby light shade of pink that made me want to 'aww'.

"Hey, I'm Marianne" I grinned and waved. Before she said anything else, she looked past me towards the door, just like everyone else seemed to be doing. I turned around in my seat and saw the guy who had saved me from Alec in art, when he caught me looking at him I smiled to say thanks but then my gaze landed on the guy next to him. Now I understand why every girl was looking longingly that way, the guy sure was something to look at, he was basically the whole 'dark, tall, handsome' type but what I didn't like was the way he just waltzed in, one hand in his pocket, checking out every flipping girl in the room! It sure gave the guy some edge. When he caught me looking at him, he smirked, I quickly looked away.