Chapter Seven

***

***

Hades remembered the first time Persephone had to leave him for the spring, she didn't seem all that bothered, giving him a hesitant goodbye before she left to stay with her mother. However, it internally killed himself to watch her leave and the fear settled in that she wouldn't return to him. He figured that Demeter would do whatever she could to ensure that her daughter would not return to him. But it seemed Demeter's efforts were not enough as Persephone did return to him when the summer ended.

The more time the couple spent together, the harder it was for Hades to let her go to return to her wretched and annoying mother. He thought it would get easier, but it never did, he hated seeing her go. Then there came the time where Persephone cried as she prepared to leave, crying into his robes, claiming that she did not want to leave him, even though she knew she had to. He wiped away her tears as she wiped away his own.

For the last minutes that they shared with each other before her departure, he would hold onto her, taking in her scent, bathing in the warmth of her hug, because it would all be gone soon and he would be left feeling so cold and empty. Persephone seemed to share the same thoughts as her fingers were clutch onto his robes tightly, her head resting on his chest, just listening to his heartbeat for as long as she could. Even if she walked freely in the sun for months at a time, she felt so incredibly cold without him and she would feel just as empty. 

During her time in the Underworld, Persephone kept a garden, one that Hades admired from afar for so long, until Persephone took him by the hand and led him in to enjoy the flowers in bloom. It blossomed beautifully when she was home with him, but when she left, the flowers would begin to wilt in her absence and eventually die off. When she returned, it was like a personal spring would return to her garden and Hades always looked forward to watching her bring the flowers back to bloom.

Whether it was the first departure or the hundredth departure, Hades just wanted it to be over with. He thought it was beyond ridiculous that he had to share his wife half the year with the woman's mother because Demeter was beyond possessive. If she truly cared for her daughter's well-being and happiness, she would have stopped interfering and allowed Persephone to live her life freely the way she wanted to. Instead of guilt-tripping her to stay with her or throw a tantrum in response. 

When she finally did return, there was so much relief and happiness that it often caused for a celebration, which normally resulted in Hades lifting Persephone into his arms and carrying her to their bed where it seemed they would spend days in each other's' arms, happily reunited.

Hades couldn't remember what it felt like to touch her when he finally came in contact with her skin as he touched her hand, his senses went wild. She tried to pull away from him but his grip tightened around her wrist, not wanting to let her go. To see her, just standing a couple of feet from him and to feel the softness of her skin again, his fix was back and he was already addicted. However, he wasn't addicted to the way she was looking at him, her eyes widened with fear as she continued to try and pull her arm away from him.