Chapter Fourteen

"Ready for this?" Number One said to Travis from the phone he had propped up on his bedside table. Travis was getting some last minute advice from the PSA director, minutes before he was going to leave.

"I think so... once the code is typed in, I'll call out the code word."

"Which is..?"

Travis gave her a exasperated glance. "'Iceberg.' Why iceberg?"

"I was eating iceberg lettuce when I had to decide," the director told him casually. "I do a lot of these things while eating."

Travis raised an eyebrow but did not comment on her admission. "Alright then. After I call 'Iceberg,' the team will arrive?"

Number One nodded. "Yes. It'll be a mix of PSA and CIA agents. They'll take the target down, and your work will be done."

He couldn't help but relax at that statement. His work would be done, at least for a short time. After nearly a month undercover, Travis was eager to get back home to see his wife Jenna and his son, Jimmy. But, something didn't seem right, just handing Janet over to the CIA. Even with everything Travis knew about her at this point, he was still hesitant to believe...

"Yeah. It'll be nice to go home."

"Yes... for a time." Number One sighed. "Have you ever thought about settling down, Johan?"

Travis shrugged. "I am. I have a wife, and a kid."

"Yes, but you don't see them much, do you?"

"No... but this job is worth it. I wouldn't do well just sitting at a desk or doing math all day. I need to be moving, thinking... solving." His parents had always told him that he was meant to wander... that was certainly true."

"Well, then," Number One finally said. "We may have a job for you."

~

"Really? They offered you a job?"

"They offered all of us jobs," Travis replied to Peter, leaning against his hotel door. The two were conversing from their across-the-hall rooms, with Peter poking his head out of his. They were just waiting on Rita and Janet now. 

Peter cocked his head. "Even Janet?"

"Of course not," Travis answered, his voice lowering slightly. "Who knows what the CIA is going to do to her. I doubt she will be in the workforce at all any time soon."

Peter's eyes left Travis's for a moment, looking down the hall, wandering. Travis saw sadness, doubt, then a flash of determination go through his friend's eyes before Peter looked back at him. "Right."

Travis gave him a long look, thinking about what was going to happen after tonight. How things may change. "Peter... please don't do anything stupid."

Peter said nothing.

"Just let her go."

A door opened down the hall, the two women emerging at last. "Ready, guys?" Rita asked. Janet looked over the shorter woman's shoulder at Peter, allowing herself a small smile.

Peter smiled back and stepped out, letting the door slam behind him. "Born ready, as usual."

Travis sighed and made sure his door was locked before turning to his friends. "Let's go."

~

The drive took only a few minutes, and the group soon was walking down the hall of an old warehouse. "I don't like this area of town," Rita whispered, looking up at the dusty rafters. "I'm afraid that there will be someone hiding, and jump out at us!"