Chapter 1: The Beginning

*Ellie's POV* (Last time you'll see this)

{Six months ago June 15}

"I love summer!" Jerica said sarcastically with a smirk. "It's the best time of year."
We were sitting in Jerica and mine's shared room getting ready to go to the lake.
"Depends on who you ask." Rafe muttered bitterly.
Something's been up with him all day, but he just will not give. "Don't dis summer just because you're grumpy today, Rafe."
"Yeah, you should listen to your girlfriend on this one." Alex agreed, pointing toward me.
"Ugh! Are we going to the lake or are we going to sit around and talk about life like some Hallmark movie?" Mack asked annoyed.
"We're going." Jerica got up, taking Magnus with her as she stood. She heads straight for the door leaving the rest of us to follow.
That's when I realized I hadn't even changed yet. "You guys go on I've gotta change." I shooed them away.
"Okay. Rafe, ya coming?"
"I'm going to wait on Ellie, Jer." He answered.
"Rafe," I started. "What's-"
He cut me off. "Go get dressed, Eleanor." He snapped.
I raised an eyebrow but did as he said. Stepping into the bathroom I changed into my bathing suit top and a pair of shorts, throwing a t-shirt over top.
When I came out Rafe wasn't there. "Rafe?" I called out, no answer.
"I thought you left me." I breathed out as I found him standing in the middle of the living room.
He smiled a fake, forced looking smile and held out a hand. "We should go."
I swear I heard him say 'I about did.' under his breath, but decided to ignore it. I nodded and slipped my hand into his.
We were quite a ways from the house when I spoke up. "What's wrong with you, Rafe?" I half demanded, turning to face him as we walked.
He laughed again. "What's wrong with me? What's wrong with you?" He didn't sound happy. He stopped walking completely. "You think I don't notice things."
"Like what, Raphael, what don't I want you to know" I inquired, tiredly.
"I know you're back bloody smoking again." He stated. "I know you don't want me to know about that. I know your parents got divorced and that you got taken away from them. That the reason your last name changed was because the Jones adopted you. But I also know you don't want me to know about any of it." He was becoming madder by the second.
I wasn't sure what to say to him so I stood there shocked. "Rafe." His name came out louder then I meant it too.
"What." He spat.
"You've got it wrong." I sighed. "I'm not adopted by the Jones yet, and to be honest I'm not even sure I'm staying." I turned to leave, but he grabbed my wrist forcefully.
Jerking me around to face him, he spoke. "Don't walk away from me, Eleanor Bates."
"I'll do what I want, Raphael." I stated, ripping my hand away. "You don't own me."
"Ellie-"
"No." I stopped him "I tried to tell you in the beginning that I'd break your heart, but you wouldn't hear of it." I paused choosing my next words carefully. "So now when I disappoint you, you want to yell at me!"
"God you make me so bloody mad at times I'd like to hit you." He admitted.
"Then do," I dared. "I've had worse than you could ever do." I was tired of this. Tired of everything, in fact.
Before I could speak again, his fist collided with the side of my face.
I gasp and placed a hand to my face as tears prick my eyes. That hurt, but most of all I can't believe he actually did it. With that I started walking away.
"Ellie, wait, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to actually hit you." Rafe yelled after me.
I didn't turn around. I couldn't turn around, not now, not ever. "Yeah, that's what Jasper used to yeah right before he did it again." I whispered.

......

I watched as everyone played in the ocean. "El, come on!" Jack yelled.
"I'm good but thanks." I yelled back.
"Ellie," Someone touched my shoulder, causing me to shudder at the touch. "Can we talk, please, I'm sorry." Rafe apologized.
I shrugged his hand off and stood. He smiled, probably thinking I agreed to talking about this, but he was severely wrong. "Don't touch me." I bit out. "Ever."
"Just hear me out." He pleaded.
I shook my head violently. "If they ask where, I went tell them I went for a walk, and will meet up with Jerica at home later." I pushed past him and into the woods, not knowing what was about to happen.......

################################
I hope you liked the chapter 1 as much as I did writing it. Did you ever think this would happen in everyone's happy world?
Dedicated to SG because...well she's amazing. Bye - Iz