I Won't Let Go

Daniel's POV

"So, what do you think?"

"It's awesome," Elle said dryly

"It's awesome? That's all you're going to say?"

I invited Elle over to tell me what she thought about the ring for Casey. I bought the ring two days after Casey and I got back together. I wasn't stupid, though. I knew I couldn't propose to her now. She wasn't ready. However, I did want to propose next spring so she'll have a year to plan the wedding. Next spring Casey will be 21 and everyone has told me it takes at least a year or two to plan a good wedding. Hopefully, she'll say yes. But, if Elle thought the ring was bad, maybe I should take it back. Still,  I just finished paying it off last week.

"Yeah, well, maybe you shouldn't ask her to marry you," Elle said quietly.

"Why not? You're the one who pushed me to get her back."

"She's just been through a lot, ya know? Do you think now is the time to propose, man? Plus, her best friend is getting married. It'll look like Casey's trying to steal her shine. And, I've only met her a few times, but a ring like that seems like too much for her."

"Well, I was going to wait until next spring, but maybe you're right. This ring is too flashy. I'll take it back."

"Okay, that's best if you ask me."

Elle put her head down then began to fiddle with her thumbs. It seemed as if she was in deep thought about something or someone. She hasn't been acting like herself lately. Ever since she met Casey she's been acting weird or different. Maybe she thought Casey and I weren't supposed to be together. But that couldn't be it. Elle said on several different occasions before she met Casey that we were perfect together.

"Elle, you okay? You've been a little quiet lately."

"Oh, yeah! I'm great," Elle smiled. "If you're waiting until spring, then I think it's perfect."

"Thanks, Elle."

I went to my room and put Casey's ring at the top of my closet. I'll take it to the pawnshop tomorrow. I had a second chance at marrying Casey. I couldn't mess that up. This time I'll make sure that everything is perfect. I already had how I was going to propose to Casey in my head. I was pretty confident that Casey wanted to marry me, but I didn't want to be too confident.

Looking at the clock on my wall, I decided that it was time for me to write a letter to my family. I wrote to them once a month. I received letters from them all the time, but with my hectic work schedule, I didn't have as much time to write them.

Dear everyone,

Things have gotten better since the last letter you received from me. Casey is feeling like herself again and we are doing good. She says 'Hi' by the way. I bought her a wedding ring and I plan on proposing next spring. Casey's always wanted a spring or fall wedding, so I figured if I proposed next year, it would give her a year or more to plan the wedding of her dreams. She also has an interview on a famous daytime television show. I couldn't be more proud of her. As far as work goes, that's going well. I'm constantly saving as you told me to, Mammi. By the time Casey and I buy our first home, I'll have enough money to buy her a place that's really nice. We most likely won't live in California. Casey and her best friend Tiffany have been looking at homes in Seattle and in Arizona. I'd rather move to North Dakota, but it's okay. I don't care where we move, as long as I'm with her. That's all that has been going on this month. But if it isn't too much trouble, I'd like for you to pray for Casey. Her trial starts in a few months and I want her to win. She told the truth, but money goes a lot further than the truth sometimes. Anyway, guys, I love you all and I miss you every single day. I can't wait to hear your voices again.