Something to Talk About

Things have been a little hectic since Mary's death. Every day around eleven o'clock I walk to David's house to watch Helen and Seth. Taking care of a newborn was hard work. I didn't want to have a child for a least seven years. Twenty-six seemed like a great age to have a baby at. Well, to me at least. The best birth control was a child. Seth's cry could reach a pitch that a baby's voice just shouldn't reach. I didn't understand how such a tiny human could make so much noise and poop so much. All he had was milk and he could fill a diaper like a grown man.

Every day when I got to David's house, I cleaned up the entire house, made Helen lunch, and fed Seth. Once I put Seth down for his nap, I put on dinner so it would be ready when David got home, which was normally around five-thirty. Then I had to go home, tend to my garden, clean, and eat. I've been having a lot of roasted meat lately because I could just put it on and leave the house. Daniel and Mr. Yoder finished the fence around my garden and they finished fixing one of the bedrooms. Soon they'll start on the barn and finish the other two bedrooms. I couldn't wait.

Fast Day had passed and I finally got my membership certification to join the church. Today we are being published in the church were Mr. Yoder would announce our wedding date. We're not allowed to be at church while the publishing is going on. Instead, Daniel was working on the other bedroom while I prepared a meal for him.

I made cornbread with When The Bishop Calls Casserole and Apply Fry Pies. As I pulled the hot apple pies out of the oven, the whole house filled with the smell of sugary apples and cinnamon. I smiled as I placed dinner on the table. I stood back and admired my food. I was really proud of my dishes.

My casserole was my biggest achievement

My casserole was my biggest achievement. Just two months ago, the only time I made a good meal was when I was looking at a recipe. Now, I cooked all the time, by myself! Who knew I could memorize recipes so easily?

Daniel walked into the kitchen and licked his lips slowly.

"Mmm, this looks amazing. I'm ready to eat," he said as he kissed the back of my neck gently. His kiss sent shivers down my spine. I turned around and wrapped my arms around his neck and he smiled down at me.

How in the world did I get so lucky?

I stood up on my tiptoes and kissed his cheek softly.

"I can't wait to marry you," he smiled.

"And I can't wait to marry you," I smiled back. "Go wash up so we can eat."

Brace and Bella were standing at the kitchen counter wagging their short tails. Bella let out a few small barks and I laughed.

"Oh no, you guys are not getting any apple pie. I just fed you. Daniel will not be happy if I give you guys his dessert."

They let out a small whimper that made my heart melt. I mean, what was one small bite of the pie going to do? They've been so good, and how could I resist their cute little faces? I kept telling Daniel I was going to stop spoiling them, but how could I? They're just babies.