I Won't Give Up

Daniel's POV

My family and I were sitting around the dinner table in complete silence. It had been a week since I decided that I wanted to leave Lancaster and I finally broke the news to my family. David was sitting back with his arms crossed like he had somewhere better to be. Abigail was clearly shocked by my confession. She didn't have any words when I broke the news to them. My mother was harder to read. She simply nodded and looked to my daed. Daed was sitting at the end of the table shaking his head. I knew that leaving would be a crazy thing for me to do, but I couldn't stay here knowing that I might have a chance to work things out with Casey. She was the love of my life, and I let her go so effortlessly. She put up a fight when I left, and I didn't return the favor. I knew what I wanted, and it was time for me to go get it. I wanted to do what made me happy for once.

I missed Casey's eyes. I needed to see them again.

"So, when are you leaving?" My mammi asked.

"Tomorrow, after I talk to Catherine."

"I can't believe you're leaving." My daed said. "What about the store? David can't run it by himself. And what about the Amish church? What are you thinking, Daniel? Are you thinking at all?"

"David can run the store by himself. You know my dream was never to work in the family store. I knew it would make you happy, though, so I did it."

"So, you're leaving again? You just got back, Daniel." Abi said quietly.

"I'm sorry, guys. I love you all, I really do. I just love Casey in a different way. She's the love of my life. I have to try and fix things between us."

"You know you can't come back, right? Once you leave this time, you're gone." My daed said with disdain in his voice.

"Daed, I can still love God and not be Amish. People do it every day."

"We are not other people, Daniel. You've truly disappointed me."

Daed got up and left the dining room —once again— everyone was silent. David sat up in his chair and looked around at the three of us.

"You know he should go, right? He loves Casey. Making him feel bad for something he simply cannot help is asinine. He wants to go be with her, so let him. Abigail, you should be ashamed of yourself. Casey was nothing but nice to you and you got mad at her because Daniel was being stupid." David said.

"Daniel, I'm not sad. I know you love Casey, and if you want to leave, you go right ahead. Your daed is mad right now, but he'll get over it soon."

"Thanks, Mammi, I promise I'll send pictures, call, write, and everything. You guys won't even have a chance to miss me."

My mother stood up and kissed me on my forehead. She held the kiss for several seconds before rubbing my shoulders and walking away. David smiled at me and put his hat on so he could leave. On his way out of the kitchen, he patted me on the back. This was the only thing I've done right since Casey left in David's eyes.

Abi started to sniffle and I looked over at her. She was wiping tears from her eyes.

"Abi, you know I'll miss you the most, right?"

"Then why are you leaving? Forget about Casey, you have us and Catherine. You don't need her. We're all you need."

"I can't just forget about her. I love her."

"Why couldn't you fall in love with a girl from here?"

"I don't know. I've spent my whole life trying to make everyone else happy, don't you think I deserve to be selfish this one time?"