Chapter 8

I seized a katana from the holsters on my back, teleported behind Venom and stabbed his back with one sword, while cutting his head off with the other. I searched through cupboards in the room and found bottles with all sorts of acids. I poured them all on the black goo that was Venom. I watched it sizzle for a minute and then turned to Peter.

  The boy's clothes were wet. I untied his arms and legs from the electric chair and removed his helmet. His eyes were closed, but he was shaking uncontrolably. I zapped us to my appartment.

  I lay him on the bed and undressed him. I changed his clothes to dry ones and covered him with the blanket. I slipped into my pajamas and looked at the clock. It was 3 PM. It's been three days since Peter was missing and Aunt May was worried sick, and I don't blame her. I convinced her that Peter wasn't feeling okay, and he was sleeping until late in the noon.

  Now I was looking at him, at his sweaty forhead. His closed eyes were moving fast.

  He got up suddenly, gasping for air. He looked around and started crying. I got up and tried to grab his hand, but he hurried to a corner of the room and crouched there in fetal position, still sobbing quietly, looking down absent-mindedly. I knelt in front of him and our faces were now at the same height and very close.

  He only seemed to notice me when I cupped his face in my palms and rubbed his unshaved cheeks with my thumbs.

  "Please." he said. "Don't hurt me. Anything you want from me, take it, please. Just don't hurt Wade..." He didn't look at me. He just stared blankly somwhere and kept on crying.

  "Peter! Peter, it's me. It's Wade... Remember me?"

  He tilted his head up and looked straight into my eyes.

  "Wade?!" He wrapped his arms around my neck and started sobbing loudly. I hugged him back after the small shock wore off and tried to fight back some tears that wouldn't boost my manliness too much. We sat like that until Peter's sobs turned to small hiccups and then to irregular breaths.

  I broke the hug and looked at him. His eyes were now hazel as always, his face expressed deep emotion and his lower lip was shaking.

  I kissed him. He responded, letting me know how much he missed me. The movement of our lips on each other's were slowly accompanied by the seductive dance of our tongues. His was obedient and docile, while mine was showing strength and domination.

  We stood up and looked at each other. We were holding hands. When he tried to go on his tiptoes, he closed his eyes and collapsed in my arms. It was fine, it's just that electro-shocks and boiler-baths may not be on the list of his daily routine.

  I lay him on the bed again, covered him with the blanket and let him sleep. I called Aunt May and gave her a feedback, telling her that Pete was better and better, acting like he wasn't gone even for a second. After she hung up, I went to the bed and saw the boy asleep, his right hand on my pillow. I took it in my palm and played with his fingers until I fell asleep.

***

  I woke up in Wade's empty bed, covered with a warm blanket. My head was exploding from the events in the past... I don't know how long it's been... Days? Months? I don't feel like it's been too long... Aunt May must be so worried. But where was Wade?

  I looked for my phone. It was on the bedside table. I took it, entered the unlock code and browsed through the contacts list until I found Wade's name and dialled it. He answered really fast.

  "Hello? Wade?"

  "Pete! Thank God you woke up I thought... Never mind... How are you, are you alright?"

  "Yeah, I'm fine it's just... I wanted to know where you are."

  "I've just left from Aunt May's, she called and said she wanted me to come over and take a casserole of soup that she made when I told her you were sick. Now I'm almost home."

  He was bringing Aunt May's soup. I was happy because that was the most delicious thing I'd ever eaten.

  "Do you want me to buy you anything?"

  "No. Wait, I could really use an aspirin or something, I've a really bad headache."

  "All pills are in the small plastic box attached inside the fridge, on the door. Can you take some?"

  "Yeah, I guess. Okay then... Please come home faster..." He laughed.

  "OK. I'll be home in no time. Bye"

  "Bye." He hung up. I got up and walked to the fridge, feeling dizzier with every step. I took a pill that was supposed to cure my headache at least temporarily and got back in bed immediately. I turned on the TV and switched to Cartoon Network. Tom and Jerry was on and I thought a little of that couldn't harm anyone. Five minutes had passed and I heard the door being unlocked. Wade came into the room, looking at me and smiling.

  "Wait 'til you see what I got you!"

He got out and came in again carrying an enormous stuffed Teddy Bear. Its fur was coloured cappuccino and its belly and paws were white.

  "Oh my God! This is so cute, Wade. But you shouldn't have..." I said.

  "Of course I should. You like it right?"

  "If I like it? I love it... This is going to be you smaller version. A mini-Wade."

  "Mini-me? Hah, I like the sound if that. Oh, I almost forgot!"

  He rushed to where he left the bags and came back with a plastic casserole and a spoon.

  "This..." he uncapped the soup. "...is the reason I got out of the house. Do you have any idea if this potion's worth eating?" Wade said and smelled it.

  "Are you kidding? It's the best potion you could ever taste. I need to be sick to get a little of this, and even then, Aunt May prepares it when I feel really bad, not just for a small cold. So you may eat it now or never."

  I looked at him, raised an eyebrow and smiled. He laughed and sat on the bed next to me.

  "C'mon, let me feed you." he said

  "Nah, I'm good, I can feed myself. It's okay, Wade, I'm not a baby."

  "No, but you need someone to take care of you. And not only now that you've been tortured and stuff. You always need to be protected."

  "Wade, I'm Spiderman. Trust me, I can take care of myself."

  "Well, why didn't you do it when Venom tried, and may I add succeeded in, torturing you?" He didn't say it in a mean way. He had a point... And besides... What could be so bad if he fed me?

  "Okay Wade, I give in. You can feed me."

  "Yuss!" he muttered under his breath. He took some soup in the spoon and put it close to my lips.

  I opened my mouth a bit and he poured its contents. He did this for the next hour, taking a spoon himself from time to time.  At 11 PM we were watching cartoons together and eating popcorn.

  We spent the rest of the day like this, and when we finally went to sleep, the headache of this morning was just a memory.

  I fell asleep with Wade's hands in mine and didn't have any dreams