Chapter 5

Peter took me to his aunt. To be honest, I was scared thinking that she may be some sort of boring old lady with even older concepts, but I was surprised to see that she was a modern-day woman, that didn't look old at all, even if Peter said she was in her mid fifties.

We had breakfast there, the most delicious fried eggs with bacon I had ever tasted. Then, as Pete went upstairs to pack his trunk, she asked me all sorts of questions, never being rude or anything.

  "Wade, right?" she asked with a warm smile. I nodded. "Coffee?"

  "Sure thanks"

  "I don't want to creep you out with personal details about you and Peter..." I choked on my coffee when she mentioned us that way. "...But there are things that I need to know about you, Wade. For example, your age"

  "I'm twenty, ma'am" I say and drink a bit of coffee. It was delicious.

  "Oh, drop the formalities, you can call me Aunt May too, if you like. From what Peter told me, you are very important to him. You are twenty you say. Do you have a job? If Pete will stay at your place, I want to know if you can afford it." I knew the question would come.

  "No, Aunt May, I don't have a job. But, please, I really want to have Peter at my house." My tone got too desperate, and I tried to justify it, as Aunt's face frowned suspiciously. "Erm... Because I live by myself and I get lonely often... Yeah..." I said.

  "You live by yourself... And you have no job" she added, and her voice sounded warm, and she looked really pleased to have me there. "Then I insist that, for the next few weeks, you accept five hundred dollars so you can get by." She noticed my silent protest and she added with a smile "And I'm not taking no as an answer" She smiled as she drank some coffee.

  "Look, Aunt May, I can't just accept it..."

  "Well you don't have any money right? So just take mine, trust me I can afford it. If I couldn't, we wouldn't be having this discussion."

  "Ok, Aunt May. I'll take the money. So will you let Peter stay with me?"

  "Yes, of course. I wanted to let him ever since I saw you, no bad man can have such a warm look in his eyes when he looks at his best friend."

  "Thank you, Aunt May. Really appreciate it."

  "You're welcome, Wade. Now, stop talking to me and go upstairs to Peters room and do whatever it is you young people do. I'll go to work now, but I'll be back around four PM. You can leave then."

  I think she went to change. It was 8:30 in the morning. I went upstairs and found my spider laying on his bed, facing the window, and all I could see was his back. I went near the bed and bent over to see his face. He was sleeping and he looked really cute. He turned and was now facing the ceiling.

I got on the bed too and cuddled with him. I carefully put his head on my chest , trying not to wake him up.

  I fell asleep too after a while and we both woke up at 2:40 PM. He hugged me tight and then we got up.

  "How did it go with Aunt May?" he asked.

  "It went perfect. She'll let you stay with me but she insisted on giving me money."

  "Meh, that's fine, she always does that. Whenever I have a sleepover. I'll go to the bathroom."

  He got back and said "Alright, let's get going."

  "We can't. She said we should wait for her. Meanwhile, why don't you tell me more about you?"

  He told me everything about his teachers, his classmates, all about Mary Jane and how they had a wonderful relationship, how she left him... Then he started liking Harry Osborn, and liked him so much that Peter was happy that Harry gave him any attention. And then I came to New York...

   With all the chit-chat, the time passed and Peter's Aunt found us laughing and watching YouTube videos.

  "Oh, am I interrupting?" she asked. Peter paused the video with the keyboard cat and said "No, actually we were really bored and were waiting for you to come."

  "And you did well. I came with a credit card with all the money you need. Wade, you're older so you will keep it, and I trust you will use them carefully. With that being said, you can leave" she said with a smile. She walked us to the door and then let us do whatever we young people do.

  On the way home I put my arm around him. We walked in silence for a while, then he removed my hand from him, and not looking too happy about it.

  "Peter, what's wrong?" I asked

  "Flash Thompson lives around here. I don't want him to see me with you like that."

  "Why? Is the jackass still going to school with you?"

  "Yeah... I have to be stuck in the janitor's closet for just one more year."

  "You never told me about that. Does he do anything else to you?" I was getting sad and angry. It was a horrible combination.

  "Oh, yeah" he said with an unhappy smile and looked down. "All sorts of things. Like stucking my head into the toilet, putting me in all the tight places he can find, spilling orange juice on the ground and shouting that I had an accident... All kinds of stuff."

  "Dammit, Peter, you're Spiderman, why don't you do something about this Thompson?"

  "I don't want anyone to find out. But no one cares about what he does. Only his gang thinks him interesting"

  "So it's not like you didn't want me to touch you, right?"

  "No, Wade, I love it when you hug me" He blushed and smiled, this time not faking it.

  "Then, if my boyfriend wants me to hug him, hell, I'll hug him" I put an arm around him again, a little incomodated by the backpack he was carrying. He let his head on my shoulder and we walked like this all the way to my home, making small talk and joking.

***

  It was the second week since Peter came at my house. I woke up a little earlier to go buy some burgers and drinks.

  I went back and found the bedroom in a mess. The sheets were ripped and their pieces scattered all over the place. The wardrobe's doors were broken and their fragments were scattered on the floor. I called Peter once and didn't get an answer. I got to the kitchen to drop the food and I saw the same mess from the bedroom.

  I started panicking. Peter was nowhere to be found and the house looked like a whole S.H.I.E.L.D. team searched it. I remembered the safe. I went to check it, right under the bed. At least there was one reason to be at ease. The cheque was still there. Good. My million was still there.

  I had to find Peter now. I went to the bathroom, still thinking this was some kind of stupid joke. He wasn't there either, instead I found blood on the floor tiles. It was a lot, so probably someone stabbed Peter... Or... I dind't want to think about what was worse. I looked at the mirror and found a smudged, hand-shaped blood stain, along with a note:

Spiderman for the formula.

   I looked closely for any trace of blood or dirty footsteps or anything. I found, though, a far better clue. A drop of black, moving goo, that sticked to my finger when I tried to touch it. It was obviously a simbio-whatever. It was Venom.