Fortification

Paul watched Patryck hang up on their leader with a worried expression.
"So what's up? Are they on their way back?" Paul asked.
"They said they'd try to get here as soon as possible, but if the storm gets here before they do... I guess we'll just have to hope for the best," Patryck sighed.
"See? I told you! If we had invested in a radio or something, we would've known this storm was coming, but no, we need that money for things like ammo and medical supplies! Man, when are people going to start listening to me?" Paul complained.
"Maybe when you actually come up with something useful?" Patryck teased.
"Hey!"
"Whatever, come on, we need to fortify the base, we're no good to Red Leader dead," Patryck shrugged, referring to the storm.
"Nah, knowing him, he'd find some way to use our deaths to his advantage," Paul chuckled. Patryck was about to argue, but he gave up before he even began, mostly because he knew Paul was probably right.
"Oh uh... hi! I didn't see you two there! Guess we should start preparing for this storm soon?" The medic nervously chuckled, slowly approaching them.
"Great, it's you," Paul frowned. Patryck glared at him and simply waved to the medic.
"Hello medic, sorry about Paul, he's just grumpy since our leader and Tom are both probably stuck in some random part of town," Patryck lied. Paul opened his mouth, ready to protest, but Patryck elbowed him in the ribs, temporarily preventing him from doing so.
"Oh dear, are they? Well, we seem to be in quite a pickle!" The medic chuckled.
"Uh yeah?" Paul replied, not entirely sure how else to respond.
"I mean, not to be rude or anything, but I'm kind of relieved Tom is stuck with him, Tom... scares me a little..." The medic sighed.
"Really? We had no idea!" Paul gasped, clearly he was being sarcastic.
"Honestly medic, you simply must grow a spine," A voice sighed. They turned towards the voice to find the researcher, holding a clipboard.
"Researcher! Hello! How long have you been standing there?" The medic asked.
"I began walking over here only a few seconds ago, however fret not, I was only able to hear you admit to being afraid of a young child," The researcher smirked.
"Hey! Can you blame me?! He's a monster!" The medic whined.
"Unfortunately, I am unable to sympathize with you, unlike you three, I have not had first-hand experience with Tom, I only know what Red Leader has told me," The researcher explained.
"Huh, well what's his point of view?" Paul asked, lighting a cigarette.
"When describing Tom's previous adult form, our leader gets very frustrated, and normally cannot give me a full description without breaking into tears or breaking something in his general vicinity,"
"Wow..." Patryck was dumbfounded.
"Yes, it would seem that our leader's desire for revenge is quite strong, however, when I requested for further information about Tom in his current form, he seemed to be... different," The researcher continued.
"Different how?" Paul asked.
"He still appears to regard Tom with hatred, but he is actually capable of giving me a full description, and his tone seems to be a little softer, and honestly? I have not asked Red Leader about Tom's adult form for a long time, in fact I haven't asked him about it since before he brought Tom here..." She trailed off.
"What does that have to do with anything?" The medic asked.
"One of the many reasons Red Leader entrusts me with most of our battle plans, is that my ability to predict a person's actions is nearly perfect, and I can predict that if I were to ask our leader about Tom's adult form now... there would be a ninety percent chance he would say that he does not know what to think anymore," The researcher smiled.
"No offense or anything babe, but what?" Paul clearly wasn't getting it.
"Babe?" Patryck asked, confused by Paul's wording.
"Sorry, I've been giving everyone nicknames lately, I was just testing that one out," Paul shrugged.
"If it is alright with you, I would prefer you not call me that, ever," The researcher growled.
"Sorry!" Paul chuckled.
"Nicknames? Oh! What's mine?" The medic grinned.
"Meat shield," Paul laughed.
"Oh..." The medic was clearly disappointed.
"And Pat's is obvious!" Paul smirked, putting his hand on Patryck's shoulder. Patryck reached over and brushed Paul's hand off of him.
"Why don't you put your hand on your babe's shoulder," Patryck angrily whispered under his breath.
"What?" Paul asked, not quite catching what Patryck had said.
"Hm? Nothing! I said nothing! Hey, whatever happened to fortifying the base? Come on, we should get started," Patryck quickly replied.
"I want to help!" The medic cheered.
"Look meat shield, that's nice, but where do we even begin?" Paul groaned.
"Well while you were having that argument about fruitless activities such as creating nicknames, I was informing the rest of the army about the storm," The researcher sighed, holding up her phone. She managed to send a message to every single soldier in such a short amount of time? Paul seemed apathetic about this news, Patryck chuckled in disbelief, and the medic gave her a look of admiration.
"Impressive!" The medic finally managed to stutter out.
"I am aware, anyways, they should have things taken care of on their ends, the best course of action for us would be to start with the windows," The researcher replied. Paul, Patryck, and the medic nodded in agreement, and one by one they made their way up the ladder to their so-called second floor.
"Paul?" Patryck sighed.
"What's up Pat?" Paul asked.
"I'm going to ask you to do something for me, but it's pretty difficult, not to mention intense, are you up for it?"
"Uh... sure I guess? What is it?"
"I need you to close the window you normally guard," Patryck chuckled, dropping his serious act.
"Hey! Were you trying to make fun of me?"
"What? No! Me? Never!... I wasn't trying, I was succeeding," Patryck snickered.
"Shut up," Paul laughed, playfully punching Patryck's arm. Meanwhile, the medic and the researcher watched as the two playfully argued and made fun of one another as they worked together to close the giant window.
"I swear, if those two continue to interact like that, I will be forced to change the red army's relationship chart... again," The researcher mumbled.
"Remind me, why do we have a relationship chart in the first place? It doesn't sound like something that Red Leader would request of you," The medic asked.
"It is a... personal project, according to Red Leader, I am permitted to do whatever free research I wish to do as long as it does not get in the way of our battles," The researcher explained.
"A relationship chart... couldn't that effect battles? Personal relationships can lead to poor judgement," The medic shrugged.
"Fine, it could inadvertently effect battles, but I am not required to tell Red Leader everything about my free research, only the research he requests," The researcher grinned.
"So basically you've found a loophole?"
"Yes, that analogy does seem appropriate in this circumstance," The researcher chuckled.
"Finished!" Patryck exclaimed, walking back towards the medic and the researcher.
"Wait, what are supposed to do about the broken one?" The medic frowned.
"Hm..." The researcher's eyes landed on a crate shoved in the corner. Paul followed her gaze.
"What exactly are we supposed to do with a box of flash grenades?" Paul chuckled.
"Not the grenades, the crate itself," She walked over to the crate, and carefully removed the flash grenades.
"What are you doing?" The medic seemed the most confused. The researcher didn't answer, instead she lifted her foot, and began stomping on the crate, breaking it into pieces.
"Someone has a strong leg," Paul laughed.
"It's the boots, I created them with help from the lead scientist," The researcher bent down and began retrieving the planks of wood.
"Oh! I get it! We can board up the broken part of the window!" Patryck grinned.
"Precisely," The researcher nodded, holding out the wood to them.
"Glad you two are the smart ones," Paul winked at Patryck and the researcher.
"Yeah!... Wait what is that supposed to mean?!" The medic whined.
"Shut up and help us board up the window meat shield," Patryck sighed.
"Great now everyone is calling me that! What about you researcher?! You wanna take a crack at me to?!" The medic snapped.
"Huh? My apologies, I'm afraid I was not listening, I was slightly preoccupied," The researcher looked up from her clipboard only to be face to face with the clearly offended medic.
"Really? Is it your relationship chart?" The medic asked.
"Perhaps,"
"Seriously?!"
"Hm... Perhaps this is why you're never included in the chart... fascinating,"
"What?! I'm not?" The medic pouted, completely forgetting ever being mad.
"Are they actually going to help us?" Patryck rolled his eyes.
"Probably not, that's fine though, I'd rather not have to deal with that meat shield, he'd just find some way to break the window even more," Paul chuckled.
"Paul?" Patryck frowned.
"What?"
"You can't keep insulting him, he's our medic, if you get hurt or something, guess who has to help you?"
"Whatever Pat, let's just get this thing boarded up so we can get some sleep or something,"
"Is sleep all you care about?" Patryck scolded. Paul looked over at Patryck, smiling.
"While I do love to sleep, I will say that there are other things I care about," Paul nearly whispered. Patryck shrugged and went back to work, clearly Paul's flirting attempts went way over his head. Paul let his eyes linger on Patryck for a few minutes before finally helping him board up the window.
"Oh, sorry! I didn't realize you two had already started, wish I could've helped..." The medic sighed.
"There is nothing that can be done now, it would be wise for us to go back to the first floor, higher ground is not ideal in dangerous weather," The researcher cleared her throat.
"Right, and we should probably stick together, someone getting lost is probably a worst case scenario," Patryck added.
"Fantastic! I don't know about you, but I feel like we could all use a little bonding hm?" The medic chuckled.
"Oh my god I hate my life... this storm better pass quickly," Paul growled. Patryck grabbed his arm and gave him a fearful look. Paul sighed and gave up on his original plan to insult the medic any further. If Pat didn't want him to do something, then he wouldn't do it, no questions asked.

Wow! Almost two thousand words! I'm not sure why, but I felt the need to write a chapter with just the red army in it, and honestly I didn't actually plan on the researcher and the medic becoming regular characters but... y'know, crap happens *shrug*. Also, twelve thousand reads, and freaking ONE THOUSAND VOTES! Thank you thank you thank you THANK YOU!!!! Sorry, might've gotten a little carried away there.... anyways, sorry if you got a notification saying that this chapter was already out when it really wasn't, but my phone glitched out last night and published the chapter when I wasn't even done with it, sooooo sorry! Thank you for reading! (Also this was 492 in fanfiction :0)