Twenty

Blake

Blake's first three days in the Sanguis Ridge werewolf pack went just about as well as she expected them to go. She was constantly with Red, alone only when stepping into the bathroom or going to sleep in the evenings. They didn't talk a lot, reverting back somewhat to those long hours they'd once spent together in a jail cell somewhere within this godforsaken territory. Blake had yet to catch a glimpse of her former dwelling and was relieved of it.

This time, Blake was certain, if she went back into one of those cells she'd never walk out of it.

They mostly stuck to the house and Red's office, trading conversation over notes and crime scene photos and victim profiles. Though it was hard to make any kind of progress in the investigation when Red wouldn't let her talk to anyone on their list.

Hell, Blake hardly talked to anyone aside from Red anyway. Not that there were many people around for her to speak with in any case. The house itself was conspicuously empty, though she'd learned that there were over a dozen others who typically occupied rooms in it. Currently, the only two that were being filled were her own and Red's. All of the others had vacated in objection to her presence. Not that she blamed them. If the roles were reversed, she'd have done the same.

Henry popped his head into the office occasionally as if checking to make sure that Blake hadn't killed Red yet but Lucy was always absent. Blake didn't put it above the Alpha to be intentionally keeping his mate far away from Blake and this murder investigation. Monroe and Toby were each hardly around and Red informed her that since he couldn't do his regular job because of the investigation, the Beta and her mate had taken over his duties.

Learning that, she'd wanted to know more about his life and role in the pack – things they'd never truly discussed before. He'd alluded to his status once before, claiming that there were only a few who ranked above him, including the Alpha pair and Monroe. Even though the sullen-faced Toby was filling in for some of Red's duties, he still ranked below Red.

He'd informed her that his position was the pack's Lead Warrior, which mostly meant that he was responsible for overseeing the training of all of the werewolves in the pack. They all knew how to fight – not just werewolves or humans but other species as well. Vampires and faeries and warlocks, including the many subspecies groupings that frequented the majority of Blake's hunts.

Red admitted to her over lunch on the second day that there had once been a time where werewolves and other beings had done the job of hunters. Regulating rogue bands and putting down individuals that were bringing too much attention to the supernatural beings who inhabited what they called the Shadow World.

After the humans had taken on that regulating role, werewolves and other species had stepped back from hunting – fearful that the human hunters would target all supernatural creatures and not just the ones that were stepping out of line.

The Lead Warrior, Red told Blake, had been the individual responsible for leading those hunts but those times had ended centuries ago. Originally limited when the werewolf-witch trials began in the 1500s and then diminished entirely with the Salem Witch Trials in the 1690s.

Today, Red's job was akin to personal protection. He and the other warriors kept the pack safe. They were the ones who, when Blake and the other hunters attacked, had launched themselves into the forest while the others ran for safety and cover.

Once, on the afternoon of her third day, Red took her for a walk through the pack's town. He'd told her about it sparingly before but it was still surprising for her to be led into an area that looked almost like a human civilization nestled away in the deep forest. Against the backdrop of towering trees and mountains in the distance were little buildings which included shops, a grocery store, school, medical clinic, and even a diner.