With Any Luck At All

It'd been months since the group came back, winter was starting to roll around.

Fortunately, that meant less walkers. Unfortunately, that meant less food and less water. With this new handicap, helping Katelyn through her coma wasn't working as smoothly as predicted.

She woke up once, about a week ago. The fear in her eyes was downright terrifying. Since then, she's been in and out of conscious.

AK left, we had, and still have no clue as to where he went. Our only clue was the sound of a deep horn, a docking horn as I was told by Sabrina. A chef she said she was, as if it explained everything.

I noticed Amelia was different, she was a lot more sensitive now. Her and Ryan had been talking for months now, everytime one of them left in tears.

Sabrina has been spending a lot of time on her own recently, she blocked out a room in the White House and told us never to enter. When I looked inside, however, there were thousands of notes signed by 'brother,' and nothing else.

Sabrina,

It's not bad here, not anymore at least. The army is more restless now that winter is coming around and we haven't much in terms of storage.

Promise to see you soon;

Brother.

That was the note I was able to grab before Sabrina caught me in that room and threw me out, forcibly swearing those notes to secrecy.

Me? I'm doing better, I've been better.

We're in a stabile place, there's something almost calming about it.

That's when I remember, not everything will work like you've envisioned.

Hunting, supply run, there's really no difference. Nick and Ryan taught me proper aiming, enough so I'm not dead if I'm separated somehow.

So that's where we were, hunting and hoping for the best we find something edible.

Sabrina led up front, me and Nick in the middle, Shark in the back. It was a safe formation, one that we all learned worked through personal experience.

What we hadn't expected then, was a person flailing violently in what looked like a frozen lake. Thin ice, of course. Why else would it be thicker?

His name was Noah, as we figured out rather quickly. He told us once we got him out and back to the White House to keep him from freezing to death.

He was also rather flirty, once he stopped shivering.

I found it amusing, how someone could still find it in their heart to make a flirty remark in a time in which it seemed impossible. I guess the impossible have a habit of happening.

Noah's an interesting fellow, he's told me of his sister Brittany and his brother AK, whom I had to tell him disappeared. He looked devastated, knowing you're just days off from finally seeing your last living relative again.

He says hello, and if you have another pen to lend him so he can write his name on my arm and call me his.

Such a romantic.

That's sarcasm, I've found its not translated well through text.

Jin's calling me down to help him with something, I am not quite sure yet. I'll be back to writing in a minute-

The rest is scribbled as a deafening silence rang through the area.

People are writing Christmas themed chapters.

Meanwhile over here I'm writing a small and confusing chapter.

Happy holidays folks!

~Winter