Chapter Forty-Six

Start from the beginning

Or me. I laughed nervously.

Ugh.

I was pretty sure he was going to be furious with me anyway...

The flight was too slow. Or I was too nervous. Either way, the minutes passed and in a matter of time I was stepping down the plane to meet Sam at the Charles de Gaulle airport. I had set up to meet at one of the restaurants, the Hippopotamus, it sounded like it was a crowded place and I needed that. After his last visit at my house, I do think that there was something wrong with him...being near him made me nervous, but I wanted to talk to him...I needed to talk to him...

I had no idea what I was going to tell him when I had him in front of me...I just needed to talk to that side of him that I had met almost two years ago. He couldn't have been acting all this time, I needed to talk to that Sam.

I obviously hadn't told Scott about this whole thing. We had barely talked over the last two days. He had been busy with whatever thing he had to do and I was preoccupied in contacting Sam and setting this whole thing up.

The paparazzi were still planted at my house and work. It was overwhelming to just see outside the window and have dozens of cameras watching me every move. Another fashion magazine was now tearing my whole image apart. I tried not to care anymore. Keyword tried. It wasn't that easy...I just had to remember that they had this picture of someone I wasn't.

I took a seat next to the entrance of the restaurant. It was almost noon, so even though It wasn't at its full capacity right now, there were at least five occupied tables.

I was nervous.  Really nervous. My palms were sweaty, so I rubbed them on my jeans as the waitress approached me in French. She was a twenty-year-old brunette. Her uniform was casual, just jeans and a black fitted shirt with a hippo on the front pocket.

"Bonjour Mademoiselle vous-"

I smiled apologetically at her, "I'm sorry I don't speak French."

"Une bouteille de Merlot. 2010. S'il vous plait."

The hairs raised up on my back as Sam brushed my arm before taking a seat next to me.  My breath started hitching and I tried to calm myself. For a fleeting moment, I had seen him trying to force himself on me at my house.

Calm down Emily.

Taking a deep breath, I tried to wipe off any expression on my face. I gazed at him and his stern eyes bored into my own. He still had that wild look in his eyes, the same he had when he stopped at my house, but he seemed controlled now. He was wearing a black suit with a white shirt. His hair was gelled to the back. A sly smile tugged up his lips

I swallowed the large knot in my throat. "Hi." Hi?! I wanted to slap myself!

"Hello beautiful. It was nice of you to contact me."

"It was too easy, actually. All I had to do was call Emery, your secretary."

"It was easy for you." His white perfect teeth showed as he smiled at me.

The waitress came by with two glasses of wine. After Sam tested it, she served us both and asked another thing in French. Sam ordered for both of us, his eyes glinting smugly as he did so.

"This is not a date, you know?" I asked flatly.

Sam shrugged as he smoothed a hand down his jacket, "You were the one who called me." He raised an eyebrow.

"I didn't call you to chit chat." I sighed, "I want to know why you're doing this."

Calmly, he took a sip of his wine. "Doing what?"